College LHP mechanics

I’ve been weight training these last 3-4 months trying to get over 200 lbs 10% BF, getting my core and lower body strengthened. I’m a 6’3 185 LHP and now starting to throw again, working hard on my mechanics and velocity.

This was me throwing a little bit on flat ground today just to see what I can work on, so any help is VERY appreciated. I’m motivated for my tryouts this June and wanna bring my best. Thank you!

First thing I noticed is that from your set position to the top of your knee lift, your hips have moved backward (i.e. towards 2B). This is inefficient and can be a source of inconsistency. Also, baserunners will take off when they see the weight shift towards 2B.

Try to get everything moving only towards your target. Narrowing your feet in your set position would help.

A flat surface is good for fielders, but not pitchers.

Take a look at any infielder, like a shortstop or third baseman fielding a ball then sending that ball to first across the infield, and you’ll see your posture. Besides the leg lift, your body’s posture is that of an infielder.

An infielder starts his/her toss off the back leg, then completes much of his/her toss (not pitch) while somewhat centering his/her balance. In fact, a good infielder’s throw can have stability by planting the front and back feet so a line can almost be drawn right down the center of the player just prior and during the throw.

Pitchers on the other hand don’t throw, we pitch. In doing so, we follow what Roger has pointed out. We pitch off our front leg, exclusively. All our presentation is “prepped” toward our forward motion for that final report off that front leg.

Obviously, there’s a lot more to this than I’m narrating here. In essence, if you maintain your composure to drive forward, keeping your upper body in the pitch … and down, exchanging your glove shoulder for your pitching shoulder, NOT popping up at the end of your pitching cycle, you’ll be able to train yourself to repeat this part of your pitching cycle and deliver strikes, a greater percentage of the time.

Find yourself a gentle incline somewhere in a park or anywhere else with the landscaping that I just described. Slowly go through your motion, like you did here in your video. Concentrate on what Roger and I suggested. Take video and present it here. We’ll take it one step at a time and explain how you can take advantage of that athlete’s composure that you bring to the field.

A small suggestion - relax a bit more. You seem a little tense and stiff in your video. I know sometimes taking video of yourself does that, the tense and stiffness part.

You hurdle your front leg and do not glide. Its a small hurdle , but you still do.

You hurdle your front leg and do not glide. Its a small hurdle , but you still do.

Thank you Roger & Coach Baker. I wrote all your advice down and gonna make another video on a mound. If there is any other mechanical advice I appreciate it all I want is to become the best pitcher I can be, I’m gonna be practicing everyday so these next few videos should show some improvement as well as my radar speeds should be coming in too.

As in when i start my windup or when i drive forward to my release point?

Steven,

While you’re going through your pitching cycle, give yourself a chance to understand and actually “feel” the muscles that have to support each phase of your progression, whether during the windup or the set motion.

Remember, you must maintain your balance, plus your muscular coordination during each phase of your pitching motion(s).

So, avoid the brute force demonstrations. Keep it simple, yet effective to the point where your actually learning what your suppose to do, and do it.

By the way, your body has an amazing ability to do things that come naturally to it. It (your body) will take care of itself, if you let it. It will show you what hurts when you don’t have the muscular ability to pitch properly from beginning to end. It will be sore when you strain one part of your body while neglecting other parts that should kick in at the right time and contribute to the overall pitching process. In fact, if you try to overcome these natural abilities that your body come “prepackaged” with, you’ll often “jog-n-skip” right down the front of your mound and end up about a good 15-20 feet in front, or to one side, of the mound after you release the ball.

Take video of yourself from the glove side and watch yourself in the “slow and easy” part. Keep trying during this phase of your self-training and I’ll bet that you’ll see problems all on your own - awkwardness, unsure of you next move, and so on.