College LHP Mechanics updated on mound

My last topic I was throwing on flat ground, now I’m gonna start working off the mound everyday before my tryout this June. My stats are 6’3 185 lbs 9% bf, but working on getting my core and lower half past 200 lbs. Any feedback, questions, and critiques are highly appreciated I’m gonna be out on the field almost everyday.

Looks generally good. I’ll provide a little more feedback tomorrow, but right off the bat I’d like to see you finish with a flatter back, with your head out over your lead leg farther as you release the pitch (stop the vid at sec 20 to see what I’m referring to).

Helping you with what Steven just mentioned, - - bend a little bit more with that pivot leg as you break at the hands, then continue to keep that pivot foot FLAT throughout your stride as much as you can. Collapsing on the instep of your pivot foot while striding will get you away from that “sprinter in the starting blocks” posture that you start and finish with. You’ll notice that if you collapse more on that instep, your entire muscle structure from the heel of your pivot foot up the pivot leg and to the buttocks and lumbar will be relaxed more, thus allowing you to compliment Steven’s observations. Take a look at these pitchers and notice their pivot foot discipline.
http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc90/CoachBaker/picdture-3_zps6668b7c5.jpg
Notice the pitcher in the middle picture. Notice how he keeps the heel of the pivot foot down as much as he can throughout his stride.

Because your pivot foot is in a “sprinter’s” position at the beginning of your motion, and continues that way, you’re “sprinting” off the mound and thus finishing with an abrupt stop, like a sprinter who jumped the starter’s gun.

Give my suggestion a try and see if you feel far more relaxed with your overall delivery motion.

By the way, this stuff isn’t easy, if it were, anyone could do it. This posture that you’re trying to accomplish is tough to stick with and repeat. You’re going about it the right way though - take video, ask a ton of questions, take more video, etc. One more thing… don’t rush this. The worse thing that you could do is hurry up the learning phase of all this, impress the wrong images on your overall way of doing things, then end up with a situation that’s far worse than you started with. Slow and easy does it, take your time to work through this and think of what your accomplished, a little at a time.

I wanted to mention that what I suggested is just the beginning of suggestions that will come your way. I’m sure others will chime in and suggest other topics and ideas that will compliment your overall questions-n-answer experience here.

Ya i was observing a couple of my favorites like Clayton Kershaw for example, and noticed my back could be a little more flat and head more in front.

Thank you so much for your feedback, I’ll be out there today working on the mechanics and slowing everything down like Coach Baker said to really make it as comfortable as possible.

I was thinking that as well re watching when I did ( a couple times correctly pivot in some footage from yesterday) pivot in a more bent relaxed motion off that leg everything came together really nice.

I’ll show you some today of what that looks like as well. I Can afford some cleats now too, which I know will give me alot more too haha.Thank you for the feedback!

You are stepping forward instead of gliding forward. Thats why your front toe opens so early. You notice in the Chapman pic above that even though he has strided way out, his front toe is still closed.

gotcha, as in pushing off forward with the rubber instead of stepping?

You mentioned … “push off the rubber…”

Well, not exactly. What plaz is suggesting is to keep your stride toe pointed towards the first baseline while striding down the mound with your stride foot, thus staying somewhat closed with your hips and other disciplines.

Pushing off the rubber:
It is my person view that, pushing off the rubber right now might force you to rush things a bit. Pushing off the rubber requires a lot of strength in the legs, core, shoulders and pitching arm, not to mention the ability to maintain your sense of balance while going down the mound and progressing with your entire pitching cycle. Trying to figure out the how-n-what for, during the time, might be complicated if you force yourself down the mound too quickly. Take a look at this ending posture of this pitcher, and let me suggest something to drive my comments home:
http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc90/CoachBaker/MLBPITCHER_zps2a2cc4c1.jpg
Now go to the mound and plant yourself down where your stride foot would stop, take this pose and HOLD IT. Then ask yourself … “what muscle group is really feeling it right about now?” The longer you hold this ending posture, the more muscles will chime in and say … “Hey guys… this smarts…”

All in all, these muscles collectively are trying to tell you what should be worked on to strengthen what. Now, of course your pitching arm and your shoulder platform (muscles) aren’t going to feel as much strain as the rest of your body - but then that’s an entirely different composition not covered here, as of yet…

Now there are a ton of other things that go into what you’re trying to do. My suggestion and plaz are just scratching the surface here.

I would like to point out that if you’re going to start this learning process, start off right by developing a solid meal plan and nutrition schedule for yourself. In addition, don’t forget a good sleep management program that allows you to get enough sleep so other things fall into place. Without good sleep habits, your eating routines will not be supported, neither will your attention span be supported, and a host of other things won’t fall into place just when you need them - general injury recovery, endurance and tolerances, etc.

Okay thanks for the input I can work on those. Also my meal plan is pretty solid I’m at 190 lbs 6’3 less than 9 % bf almost it’s just more difficult to put on weight for me eating solid whole proteins and veggies, plus my whey isolate. Sleeping consists of waking up early, hitting the gym, sprints/core work, stretching, throwing almost everyday if I can.