College lefty needs help with mechanics

Looking for some help and or suggestions to improve velocity and mechanics.

Kind of look like a pie thrower. If you release the ball further out in front of your body you should get better downward action as well as better velocity.

Post a video of you throwing at 100% intensity. Why would you ask how to increase velocity if you didn’t even post a clip of you throwing at full speed?

Can’t tell anything significant from this clip, and I would be skeptical of anybody who claims that they can.

You definitely have prospect in your future. Your solid with the foundations of pitching, there is no doubt. You also have a smoothness to your delivery that any pitching coach who does that for a living would be eager to work with you.

Now your going to get a few …“do this… do that”, here. And the intentions will be solid. along with some of the advice. However, you need a one-on-one pitching coach in live time. NOT someone who’s been around - but a pitching coach who does this stuff for a living. On the other hand, like I mentioned above, you will get very good advice here. However, a pitcher like yourself with the tempo that you have should work with words and examples live time. Sometimes this media can be challenging - not to say others haven’t benefited.

I would say that by the looks of things your about 6’ 4", or around there. And perhaps about 200 -210 in the pounds department. You move your weight very well and your proportions are evenly spread along the delivery phase of your pitching cycle. THAT SON, IS WHAT WE CALL “WORKABILITY”.

Go to the top portion of this web page and find the topic that says FIND A PITCHING COACH. You want a pitching coach that is just that … and that only. By the way, I make this suggestion because you have honest talent and a future in this game/business. But, the trick is to match all that ability with the “want.” Why? Because a pitching coach that’s the genuine article will train you said same. And on that note, you should expect the same output as he does … in other words you should both be on the same page - hour by hour.

If you want a further advice, please ask.

Coach B.

What does your college coach think?? Also on the pitches from around 2:40 your hips are taking off pretty early making your arm have to catch up. Thats another way to gain velocity.

Thanks for the input. What do you mean by pie thrower?

[quote=“Coach Baker”]You definitely have prospect in your future. Your solid with the foundations of pitching, there is no doubt. You also have a smoothness to your delivery that any pitching coach who does that for a living would be eager to work with you.

Now your going to get a few …“do this… do that”, here. And the intentions will be solid. along with some of the advice. However, you need a one-on-one pitching coach in live time. NOT someone who’s been around - but a pitching coach who does this stuff for a living. On the other hand, like I mentioned above, you will get very good advice here. However, a pitcher like yourself with the tempo that you have should work with words and examples live time. Sometimes this media can be challenging - not to say others haven’t benefited.

I would say that by the looks of things your about 6’ 4", or around there. And perhaps about 200 -210 in the pounds department. You move your weight very well and your proportions are evenly spread along the delivery phase of your pitching cycle. THAT SON, IS WHAT WE CALL “WORKABILITY”.

Go to the top portion of this web page and find the topic that says FIND A PITCHING COACH. You want a pitching coach that is just that … and that only. By the way, I make this suggestion because you have honest talent and a future in this game/business. But, the trick is to match all that ability with the “want.” Why? Because a pitching coach that’s the genuine article will train you said same. And on that note, you should expect the same output as he does … in other words you should both be on the same page - hour by hour.

If you want a further advice, please ask.

Coach B.[/quote]

Thanks coach I appreciate the advice. I wish I was the size you mentioned lol, I’m actually about 5’11 175. I’ve been trying to add a little weight but its been coming slowly. I took your suggestion and checked out the pitching coach section but could not find any in VA, although I do know of a couple academies. I know that a part of moving to the next level is velocity, so anything I can do to increase my speed is crucial to me. Thanks for your help coach

[quote=“LankyLefty”]Post a video of you throwing at 100% intensity. Why would you ask how to increase velocity if you didn’t even post a clip of you throwing at full speed?

Can’t tell anything significant from this clip, and I would be skeptical of anybody who claims that they can.[/quote]

I guess I was just trying to see what kind of feedback I could get based on my mechanics from the video. I’m coming off a shoulder injury and have just gotten on the mound a couple times and have not gone game speed yet. I will have to get another clip throwing full speed.

If by college coach you mean pitching coach, we don’t really have one. So, basically I have to go based on my own understanding and learning. About the hip part, I thought that you are supposed to drive the hips quickly. Can you explain the taking off early?

Thanks for the input. What do you mean by pie thrower?[/quote]

It looks like you’re releasing the ball by your ear instead of out in front of your body. It almost looks like a quaterbacks throw or a catcher.

This may be because you’re not throwing 100% though.

If by college coach you mean pitching coach, we don’t really have one. So, basically I have to go based on my own understanding and learning. About the hip part, I thought that you are supposed to drive the hips quickly. Can you explain the taking off early?[/quote]

Ehh i went back and i paused and played and paused and played and its not too bad, or as bad as i originally saw, but your arm in a couple of freeze frames is lagging behind your body with your glove arm dragging it along for the ride. This could have possibly been a reason for your shoulder injury.

Was it rotator cuff or labrum. I just rehabbed a rotator cuff tear and i’m back to 100% and throwing harder than i ever have before.

If by college coach you mean pitching coach, we don’t really have one. So, basically I have to go based on my own understanding and learning. About the hip part, I thought that you are supposed to drive the hips quickly. Can you explain the taking off early?[/quote]

Ehh i went back and i paused and played and paused and played and its not too bad, or as bad as i originally saw, but your arm in a couple of freeze frames is lagging behind your body with your glove arm dragging it along for the ride. This could have possibly been a reason for your shoulder injury.

Was it rotator cuff or labrum. I just rehabbed a rotator cuff tear and i’m back to 100% and throwing harder than i ever have before.[/quote]

They called it reverse impingement. It started bothering me when I was long tossing and having to really put more effort into my throws. I’ve been throwing recently though and it’s been feeling good but my velocity doesn’t seem to be coming back…any tips?

Reverse Impingement? I think that is the same as GIRD. (Internal Capsular Impingement) Glenohumeral Internal Rotation Deficit

It stems from bad posture and being a thrower your whole life. It directly resulted in my rotator cuff fray

http://www.throwinginjuries.com/gird.htm

[quote=“UndersizedRHP”]Reverse Impingement? I think that is the same as GIRD. (Internal Capsular Impingement) Glenohumeral Internal Rotation Deficit

It stems from bad posture and being a thrower your whole life. It directly resulted in my rotator cuff fray[/quote]

Thanks for the link. That is exactly what it was. The physical therapist told me that my shoulder capsule was tightened and was a direct problem for the injury. I’ve been doing therapy for a few months with 2 stretches being done everyday. What kinds of stretches do you do for better IR.

Oh geez, i have like 20 pages worth of stuff from all the physical therapy i did.

Just so you stay positive, if you’re very religious about doing your exercises and youre patient, your arm will get 100% better.

I will scan some of my stuff later tonight and post it for you.

Sleeper stretch is the most important stretch for capsular impingement.

I think your best bet would be to get your arm and shoulder healthy first.

Then when you are 100%, post a clip of you throwing at 100% effort (game speed). An open side shot (looking at you from 1st base), then a catchers view would be fine. You don’t need 5 minutes of video. 30 seconds is more than enough.

[quote=“UndersizedRHP”]Oh geez, i have like 20 pages worth of stuff from all the physical therapy i did.

Just so you stay positive, if you’re very religious about doing your exercises and youre patient, your arm will get 100% better.

I will scan some of my stuff later tonight and post it for you.

Sleeper stretch is the most important stretch for capsular impingement.[/quote]

Thanks man I appreciate the help a lot.

[quote=“101mph”]I think your best bet would be to get your arm and shoulder healthy first.

Then when you are 100%, post a clip of you throwing at 100% effort (game speed). An open side shot (looking at you from 1st base), then a catchers view would be fine. You don’t need 5 minutes of video. 30 seconds is more than enough.[/quote]

Alright that makes sense. I’m just tired of throwing slow lol, all I want to do is increase my velo

I agree with most of what’s said here. However, one thing I noticed that no one has mentioned is that you tend to swing your arm behind you. This could account for not releasing more out in front, because it takes longer to get the ball up into the high cocked position. Try and take the ball down, back, and up in more of less the same plane. You will probably notice and improvement and velocity and accuracy as well.