College Freshman

We have been on here for a few years and now he is a College Freshman and it looks like he will make the starting rotation

Can’t get my link to work

Video is marked private as well. <<< Looks like you fixed it

What a terrible mound! That has to hurt his intent/aggressiveness, knowing the mound will slip when you plant.

It is only his 2nd pin of the season thats is not the normal mound someone was using the good one.

Your reaching forward instead of gliding or falling forward.

Plaz. Could you elaborate on both accounts

I’m not sure he’s rotating into footplant (or pelvic loading) as well as he has in the past. But again, that could be from the mound and wanting to be careful because it’s going to slide when he braces.

I agree on the wind up he was not loading the lower half but from the stretch he is better. The step over isn’t that bad but it has been better.

How hard is he throwing now?

IN the fall he toped out at 91 but was consistent 86-88 hoping with a full winter under the school S/C coach and not playing short that number will go up.

Tom,

Happy to see that you’re still at it.

What so many people don’t understand is the 10 year rule. That takes 10 years of concentrated effort to have any hope of mastery. And when I just talking about athletic mastery were talking about things such as understanding how the body optimally throws the baseball.

There are several velocity bleeders that I see in your son’s mechanics. And I’ll qualify the statement by also saying that I’m not sure what he’s trying to do in the clips that you provided i.e. what he’s focusing on.

I can’t emphasize enough the importance of variation. In other words the clips that you’ve posted show someone is very controlled and his throwing movements. That’s fine as long as there’s also sessions where he just let everything hang out.

As I said that some very specific velocity bleeders that I think should be worked on.

Practice/training variability is very important. There’s some interesting research that indicates that too little variability is just as bad as too much variability. In other words attempting to regiment ones delivery, I.e. trying to become too controlled is just as bad as being out of control.

Send me a private message with your contact information.

Again good to see you posting.

We were really just getting started for the season so i do agree he does look mechanical. Velocity is our problem. Great control 82ks in 64 innings but he doesn’t light up the gun. No intent so that is what he is working on at school. Thanks coachxj for commenting and i sent you a PM not sure if it went

Paul,

I would certainly be interested in your observations of Tom’s boy and I’m sure most others would too. Why not post them here?

Here are a few observations that may be of help:

1. Rotating into foot plant and creating separation.

There is NO rotation to foot plant. What you have is the beginning of the stride where the front knee is closed off but then it opens very gradually and becomes very linear. Velocity is rotation. More specifically velocity is quick rotation. The sequence is keeping the hips closed off by keeping lead leg internally rotated until just before foot plant and then rapidly externally rotating the front leg into foot plant. The goal is to rapidly snapped the hips around while keeping the upper body closed off such that you create a pulling action of the hips across the midsection on the upper torso.

1. Lack of effective hip rotation leading to poor or no hips to upper body differential.

Velocity is capturing the rotational momentum of the hips and so doing create additional pulling action by stretching the muscles that connect the hips to the upper torso and then contracting to give an additional boost to rotating the upper torso. This segmentation of hips and then upper torso not only boosts upper torso velocity it also reduces the rotational moment of inertia of the body so that you can create faster rotations.

This is the figure skater effect. A figure skater creates a fast rotational spin by first adding with them arms outstretched i.e. slow-moving large moment of inertia and then pulls the arms in close to the body which reduces the moment of inertia are but for the same momentum creates greater rotational velocity.

In other words by segmenting the rotation hips and upper torso as opposed to rotating hips and upper torso together you minimize how much effort is required to rotate.

1. Bleeding momentum forwards by having a soft foot plant.

Once the front foot comes down the lower torso (hips) have to brace up so that the upper body has a firm foundation to work against. Continuing to allow the hips to move forwards bleeds away momentum that can be used by the upper body.

1. Throwing around the front hip joint versus throwing over the front hip joint.

The axis of rotation once you going to foot plant is around the foot plant hip joint. What the video shows is more of a “jack knifing” forwards over the front hip joint as opposed to rotating around the front hip joint. Effective utilization of momentum around the front hip joint will cause the body to head towards first-base after release of the baseball.

Again these are a “few” quick observations. I’ll get back to (as time permits) you privately with more discussion.

knew it was something with that front side a year ago i posted some clips of him from 2007 and compared the 2014.this were we need to be i hope its not to late.

[quote=“coachxj”]
Once the front foot comes down the lower torso (hips) have to brace up so that the upper body has a firm foundation to work against. Continuing to allow the hips to move forwards bleeds away momentum that can be used by the upper body.[/quote]
Would you say this is largely a strength issue in the front leg? Or is there a mechanical aspect to it?

Thanks for sharing your insights.

Fantastic post/explanation coachxj.

Roger
Isee it as a mechanical issue with the front knee. The step over move needs to be a quick/violent move not a slow gradual movement as it is now pelvic loading isn’t happening either. The older clip is more of what we are looking to be at. Correct me Coachxj if I’m wrong

I understand that you want the rotation into foot plant to be as late as possible and, therefore, quick and violent as you described. But it seems that the later and quicker and more violent that is, the stronger the front leg needs to be in order to firm up and brace more abruptly as that will transfer energy up the chain the most efficiently.

Actually, it seems to me that regardless of whether the front foot rotates early or late, you still want the front leg to firm up and brace abruptly. And that still seems like a strength issue.