College Club Baseball

Now that my final year of legion baseball is over I am planning on playing for the club baseball team at the University of Wyoming (since they have no varsity team). I have a few questions concerning the level of competition and what kind of atmosphere to expect playing for a club team.

This team was the national runner up for NCBA Division 2, so they are pretty well respected among the teams they play I would imagine.

What level of competition would you equate Club Baseball to? Is it closer to playing in an 18+ men’s league or playing for a small NAIA school or juco?

I know I will need to talk to the coach about these type of things but what do you think I should expect as far as what type of role to fill? Do you think it’s more like a legion or high school team where people play several positions and pitch? Or do you think I should expect it to be you either play a position or you pitch? Should I expect there to be utility players and DHes?

I know there is both an A team and a B team, and I know 2 of my legion teammates will be joining me.

I’m trying to figure out what to expect (and yes I will contact a coach to get more details) so I know whether I should keep working on the first base skills and try to master that position or if I should maybe polish up on my third base and outfield so I can be versatile enough to play different spots in the field to work my way into the lineup more often. Whether or not I should continue working on pitching, etc.

Any input you guys have would be nice. Hopefully I can get a hold of this coach soon so I can get more details but until then I’m just hoping for a little bit of what to expect from you guys.

Congratulations, Pustulio. As for what to expect, one thing you can be sure of—you’ll be allowed to use that knuckleball. So keep working on your pitching, and if you’re asked to play more than one position, that’s all right too—there are a lot of major leaguers who can do that, and pretty well do. Jorge Posada used to be a first baseman before he switched to catching, and he can still flash that leather at the first-base bag. Robbie Cano can play anywhere in the infield, just about, and some guys can play anywhere, period—lots of teams benefit from this versaitility.
As to what level your clob baseball team is at—you won’t know until they team has gotten a few games under its collective belt. It might be one of those you listed, or it could be at the level of a pretty good minor league club. Whatever it is, have fun—and I know you will, now that you’ve gotten away from those coaches who don’t like knuckleballs! :slight_smile:

So in other words, what you’re saying is to keep working on all aspects of my game defensively?

So I’ll try to stay polished at first and try to look sharper at 3rd and right field so I can play there if needed. Then of course I’ll try to get the knuckleball back to form, after not throwing it too regularly for a while it sort of lost it’s touch and get that other stuff going too. I can already tell my fastball is getting up there finally, I think I just didn’t mature muscularly as early as some people, there was a time not too long ago when my max was 70 mph but today I was hitting 70 regularly without even getting a chance to warm up (county fair had one set up).

So I’m pretty confident going into this fall, I think I could be effective and be a solid change-of-pace middle reliever like my old coach used me for before he passed away.

So in other words, what you’re saying is to keep working on all aspects of my game defensively?

So I’ll try to stay polished at first and try to look sharper at 3rd and right field so I can play there if needed. Then of course I’ll try to get the knuckleball back to form, after not throwing it too regularly for a while it sort of lost it’s touch and get that other stuff going too. I can already tell my fastball is getting up there finally, I think I just didn’t mature muscularly as early as some people, there was a time not too long ago when my max was 70 mph but today I was hitting 70 regularly without even getting a chance to warm up (county fair had one set up).

So I’m pretty confident going into this fall, I think I could be effective and be a solid change-of-pace middle reliever like my old coach used me for before he passed away.

You’ve got to be pretty good.