College Baseball Help

Hey everyone :slight_smile:

I’m not too sure if this is the right area to put this in, but oh well, here goes.

Right so as some may know, I’m from South Africa, Cape Town, and I’m looking to make it to the Big Leagues in the US. Now I’ve been told by a few people that, going the college route would be the best for me. So, my question to all you awesome people is, is this so. Along with if it is, what would I require to make it into a college in the US (keeping in mind I’m a foreigner)

I’m 17 at the moment, 18 in June. I’ll do whatever it takes to make it happen, so lay some other ideas on me please :slight_smile:

Regards
Josh.

PS: If you think it wouldn’t happen, or won’t, then let me know, I’d appreciate the honesty :slight_smile:

I know guys from other countries that play in college in the US, mostly at private schools not state schools. REally depends on your numbers too, what type of pitcher are you L or R , height and weight, FB speed, CU speed other pitches? You might have to go to a school and then walk on to make a team though, what do your grades look like?

Thanks for the reply :slight_smile:

My grades are average, B’s and C’s. My speeds for all my pitches haven’t been gunned yet since no one has a radar gun :confused:

I’m a right hand pitcher, almost 6 ft 1, I weigh 57.7 kg (126.9 lbs) last I checked.

I’m saving up for a radar gun so that I can get a reading on where I am with my pitches.

Let me know if there’s anything else I need to list :slight_smile:

You’ve probable gotta come here to the US if you really want to make it happen in baseball. Maybe aim for a summer program? Check out IMG baseball academies in Florida. Super expensive, but it’ll get you some exposure and instruction. And there’s already a system in place at IMG in terms of a structured summer baseball program, housing, food, games, etc, etc.

I think it’s going to require a pretty significant financial investment to make it really happen. You’ve got to find a way to get here in the States on a team, with a host family, etc., etc. That might get you the exposure you’ll need to get hooked up with a college team, if that’s what you’re interested in doing.

Thanks for the reply Steve :slight_smile:

You’ve probable gotta come here to the US if you really want to make it happen in baseball.

Yup, that’s what I was thinking too.

You’ve got to find a way to get here in the States on a team, with a host family

How would a host family work? I do have relatives in Missouri though.

How much are we looking at for a summer program, roughly?

I’m not sure how it would work for someone your age and coming from out of the country. Check out the IMG Baseball Academies website for some of their different options. Other members may have other ideas, too.