College Baseball Camps

through my recruiting process i’ve been invited to a few big name college camps, boston college, miami, and san diego university are the bigger of the bunch, however I feel like these camps have so many players at them that they dont give you a chance to really meet the coaches and such, so i feel that they are not beneficial, i feel like it might be a waste of time and just a money grab, does anyone have any experience with these and what are your thoughts?

It depends on the camp. Some of them are worthwhile; one of the D-I pitching coaches at my facility did sign 2 guys from his camp that he didn’t previously consider (offered one 50% scholarship).

However, both were in the upper 80’s/low 90’s and probably could have gotten a look elsewhere, so it’s not like you can go in throwing 84 and get an offer.

If you have marginal D-I stuff, doing a camp or two makes sense. If you have plus stuff, you don’t need the camp. If you have garbage stuff, no amount of camps will help.

My advice for any camp invite that appears to be a standard form invite (now if it’s personalized that’s a whole different story);

It may look like they (the school) are generally interested (without previous contact), but not everything is necessarily as it seems sometimes.

The easiest way to truly understand is call if you are the player if not have your son call the coach about the camp, if he has no idea who you or your son is well…

You figured it out.

A lot of camps are indeed a fundraisers for programs, but like Kyle suggests there have been some player’s who wind up getting offers from attending camps, but usually those are few in far between unless the program knew who you were before hand and had some other contact with said player.

Another way to look at it is if you’re on the West Coast and getting invited to East Coast camps or vice versa and you’re not an absolute stud, and the current programs roster doesn’t have that many player’s on it from opposite coasts, well chances are it’s just a generic invite trying to generate money for the program.

At the end of the day College Baseball is a business that usually isn’t profitable so programs have to try and make as much money as possible however they can and for the most part holding camps is a great way to do it.

Speaking on behalf of the invites, everybody gets them. Basically what KyleB said is the truth, also look into what that schools recruiting class is looking like, if it’s light then it may be a better opportunity than a school that is almost filled.

My exerience:

1. E-mail the coaches to tell them you’re coming.
  2. Be selective in what camps you go to…there are a million of them.
  3. DRESS LIKE A BASEBALL PLAYER.
  4. Hustle like crazy.
  5. Introduce yourself.
  6. Be int he front of the line.
  7. Volunteer for everything (including picking up baseballs during BP).
  8. DON’T GO TO A CAMP UNLESS YOU ARE IN SHAPE AND NOT HURT.
  9. Leave it on the field / in the gym.
  10. Follow-up with a thank you e-mail to any coach that helped you or that you met.

The primary mission of these camps is to generate revenue ( often to support the assistant coaches ). This is not a bad thing, just a reality. Occasionally, the school id’s a player…but that’s not the primary goal.

My kid is an 8th grader & I’ve let him do a winter camp for the past three years. Always find one that is 12 yrs & up or this year was 8th-12th grade because they are better workouts than the Jr Camps. He goes for the workout & to get accustomed to the format; nobody’s recruiting anyone his age. Since he’s been going we get several emails per year along with a few letters with “personal invites” from coaches to their showcase camps. The only way I’ve seen him standout is perhaps how much smaller he is than the high school kids. My guess is once you’ve attended your contact information is passed along. For a kid his age it’s a pretty nice ego stroke though.

He is at the age the “ego strokes” should probably stop. My son went to some camps ect. where he was told how much potential he had and how far along he was for his age, along with winning some awards in youth ball. The end result was him having an inflated opinion of where he was as a pitcher and a thought process that he didnt have to work that hard. Certainly part of that was his own immaturity. Being the best player in your youth league or on your high school team (depending on the team) doesnt amount to squat if you want to keep progressing. Just my opinion of course.

[quote=“fearsomefour”]He is at the age the “ego strokes” should probably stop.

He is very well aware the reason he gets the letters is because he’s attended camps and they are fundraisers; I made it clear to him from the beginning. He still thinks it’s cool to get the letters. Point of my post is once you’ve attending a college camp my guess is contact information is passed along and you’ll receive invitations. In our case invitations certainly not based on the teams interest in my son other than signing up for camp.

Yep. Getting “baseball” mail is exciting and fun for a youngster. The only mail when I got when I was a kid had to do with overdue books.