Coachability

My son is 11 and loves b-ball.He is a natural hitter who hits line drives.He has arm strength and control.He however would rather eat dog poop off the bottom of his sneaker,than listen to any advice i give him.The coach praised his pitching try out but mentioned he needs to rotate his body and bring his leg around.(me 2,000x)So,…in a nutshell,…how to get a talented kid to reach his potential.What is the roadblock to listening to dad,coaches,neighbors,team mates?I expect a genius solution,(lol)and will let my son read the responses,after i do. Thanks,…jeans

You’re asking for a “genius solution”? Wow! What you’re describing is one of the most problematical situations in baseball—how to deal with someone who thinks he knows it all and won’t listen to anything anybody has to say. I once came up with an answer, a drastic one, in another post in which I advised how to deal with a pitcher on a team who just refused to listen—but we’re not dealing with an established pitcher who happens to be a royal pain in the gluteus maximus; we’re dealing here with a kid who thinks he knows it all and, because of his attitude, is a royal pain in the gluteus maximus! And my drastic advice will not wash in this instance.
I was thinking—is there a professional pitcher, perhaps a major leaguer or one in the high minors, whom this kid likes and respects and might be willing to listen to? It might be worth it to give this a shot. Perhaps if the kid has a chance to talk to someone who’s been through the mill and who has made a success of himself—ask him questions about this and that—even work with him for a bit, have this pro pitcher see what he’s doing —he might be willing to accept advice and a bit of instruction in this case.
I can speak from experience here. As a kid, I discovered that I had a natural sidearm delivery and a pretty good curve ball that came attached to it, and I picked up a couple of other pitches, and I was doing pretty well with them. Then, at the age of sixteen, I decided I needed another pitch, and I thought it might well be the slider, which I had seen thrown in many a major league game. So one day I played hooky from school, went to Yankee Stadium and watched the Yanks beat the Indians 2-1—and I’ll never know just how it happened, just how I knew, but I knew just whom I would have to ask about that pitch. The one I asked turned out to be Ed Lopat, the Yankee lefthander who specialized in beating the Indians to a pulp, and when I told him I just wanted to ask him something about the slider he drew me aside and showed me how to throw a good one. And that started something—he became my pitching coach for almost four years, and what I learned from him was nothing short of priceless. I liked the guy, and I respected him, and in turn he said he would work with anyone who was interested, who wanted to know and who was willing to work at it…and the minute I asked him about the slider he knew at once that I was serious. He helped me become a better pitcher than I had been; he knew what it was I needed to know about certain things and he was willing to teach me—and I was willilng to learn.
So, what I’m saying here—this may not be a “genius solution”, but it might be a very practical one worth pursuing. Good luck. :slight_smile: 8)

Thankyou Zita.I have to go make the donuts in a moment.Will respond to your reply later.

I hope you’ve been able to have some success coaching your son since you last wrote on here. I just wanted to add on to what I thought was a good thought from Zita.

I am currently mentoring a 11 year old right now, and I’ve been working with him on school. He sees me as a “big kid” that he looks up to, and kids that age are very impressionable. He’s since been doing better, even though I’ve just been telling him everything others have told him. It’s just nice to come from someone else.

I think kids see their teachers, mom/dad, friends, and coaches so much sometimes that they grow numb to hearing what they have to offer, even though they care about them.

It’s sometimes nice to hear a message a different way and from a different person that represents who they want to be, or where they want to go. That person can be a pro pitcher that Zita says, or I think even a local high school pitcher would do at that age.

Stu