Coach wrecking future?

I was wondering what you all think I should do about this situation.

My HS coach is very competitive, too much in my opinion. He doesn’t seem to care about our (pitcher’s) futures. He doesn’t mind having our pitchers throw 150 or more pitches per game. He calls pitches and often calls for 75% breaking balls.

He already caused our ace stress fractures in his shoulder (due to too many breaking balls and overuse) , and now is trying to rush him back. He is also trying to rush back another guy who dislocated his shoulder not too long ago.

Yesterday, I had my first varsity apperance. I havent really thrown in a game in over a year. Due to previous elbow and other arm injuries I rarely throw more than 5 curve balls per day. Also the growth plates in my arm haven’t closed so I rely on locating my fastball and a decent changeup. Yesterday I threw 25 pitches (came in with the score 13-6). I threw 18 curveballs and even shook off a few. After the game my arm hurt and today it’s even worse. Maybe Im overreacting, but to me it seems like the situation made it so it was not worth hurting my arm. We are under .500 as a team and have little chance of a league, region or state title. We were losing the game by a lot and with the offense on my team, we wern’t going to come back.

I want to pitch, but not for this guy–what should I do (after letting my arm heal).

I see two choices…talkin or walkin. Either you talk to him and explain what you just said or leave the situation. Either choice can have consequences and rewards…Upside of talking is that he will respect you for being assertive and in charge of your own future, downside is he’ll see it as a challenge to his authority. I think you can figure both sides of the leaving. Just realize Hoov, that this is what you can stand…not us. What is your gut telling you? Can you reason with this guy? Think hard on what your goal is and how many different ways you can acheive it. Good luck to ya…I know it’ll work out ok.

This guy needs to be relieved of his position. If your arm hurts do not throw. Do go and see the Doc. Can you transfer? If you do tell the A.D. why.

I really dont think your ace hurt his shoulder by throwing curve’s though, I could believe his elbow. No kid should ever throw 150 pitches in a game period!

I HATE coaches calling a pitchers game anyway. This ticks me off more I think about it. You are right, your coach is wrong, Ian.

I’ve been gone for awhile but I just had to reply to this one. If everything you posted is true, I’d seriously consider looking for a new team. I know…“the grass is always greener”… but the one thing you do know is the grass is wilted and brown on your side of the fence. You ought to investigate your options so that when the time comes you’ll be making a decision based on the knowledge of what the conditions are elsewhere.

There are certainly high school coaches that realize they are part of the developmental ladder not the top. They reasonably use their pitchers and they factor in things like pitch count, type of pitch thrown and days rest knowing that a college program does not want damaged goods. High School programs become known for producing pitchers with tired and abused arms. And college recruiters will avoid those programs.

I know because my son’s new high school coach is a stonehead too. You might as well have been talking about him when you posted. Except you could add negative and demeaning coaching on top. I don’t think its disloyal when the problem is that bad. Why put your future in the hands of someone like that?

If you are using the up sweep -down sweep method of communicating with your cather, when the coach calls a curve, you could upswing to subtract for a fastball or downsweep for a change up.

It sounds like this guy would get bent out of shape though. Have your parents talk to the coach and copy the A.D. If you have an orthopeadic surgeon maybe have him write an open letter if he is willing. You could also send him some articles by Dr. Tom Kremchek (the Reds team surgeon), he is not a big fan of the breaking ball before 17, or direct him to this board, I would be happy to chat with him. Most of all talk to your parents about your concerns. If you are worried about being hurt,it is your instinct talking, Listen! Ian.

[quote=“ian demagi”]If you are using the up sweep -down sweep method of communicating with your cather, when the coach calls a curve, you could upswing to subtract for a fastball or downsweep for a change up.

It sounds like this guy would get bent out of shape though. Have your parents talk to the coach and copy the A.D. If you have an orthopeadic surgeon maybe have him write an open letter if he is willing. You could also send him some articles by Dr. Tom Kremchek (the Reds team surgeon), he is not a big fan of the breaking ball before 17, or direct him to this board, I would be happy to chat with him. Most of all talk to your parents about your concerns. If you are worried about being hurt,it is your instinct talking, Listen! Ian.[/quote]

Responses like this sometimes make me laugh. In this instance, what high school varsity coach is going to come onto a this forum or any other baseball forum and take your advice or anyone else’s advice seriously? While I’m sure that there are knowledgable people that post on these forums, the majority do not attach their real names to their posts or they have very little credibility. And while I believe in being your own coach and learning as much about your skills as you can, I don’t think that I would bring it up to my coach that I was getting all of my information from a pitching forum.

Basically, if you’re going to have a heart to heart with your coach, you need to make sure that you have the support of your parents, have good evidence to support your cause (medical journals and/or opinions of experts such as Andrews and Yocum), and go into the meeting expecting the worst. That way you’ve prepared yourself for the worst and any other result from the meeting can be considered an improvement. It’s a tough situation to be in and I feel for you Hoovedog. Good luck with everything

Hey Hoove:
In my opinion , If I were you , I’d do exactly what jdfromfla. said in his reply to you. I don’t think anyone could post a better answer to your situation. Gool Luck.
Bill

Do any of the school districts where poor coaches are located, evaluate the coaches; like the AD should. Do members of the school comms hear of this and do any players and parents make evaluations of these coaches while the player is in LL etc. We must realize that qualified coaches who teach in a system now do other things to make $ with far less stress. I never thought we would see ads for Var. coaches as we do now. Where has the system broken down?