Closing Pitching

I need some help. I have never been a pitcher before. I’m in 8th grade so I throw from 60 ft. any tips on being closer/starter? Thanks.

For starters, look at the “sticky” post by Ian Demagi’s at the top of this forum and also at his “Junkman” post in the “Starting Pitching” forum.

i completly believe that to be great coming out of the pin you have to be a warrior at all times. you have to be the most mentally tough person ever but in 8th grade dude you dont really have rolls so you just pitch when you pitch and let some of your other coaches down the road help you with the starting/releif type stuff

Somebody once said that the ideal relief pitcher is a comic-book reader with his brains beaten out of him. Maybe so. But my idea of the ideal relief pitcher is Mariano Rivera—probably the greatest closer in the history of the game and a sure-fire first-ballot Hall of Famer. Let me tell you about something he does before he even starts to warm up.
He takes a couple of minutes to get himself into a mindset he calls “the eye of the tiger”—a quiet but very intense focus in which nothing exists for him except getting the batter(s) out. Then he warms up. And he takes that focus, along with his murderous cut fastball, out to the mound, and he proceeds to make the batters look very, very stupid. If you watch his face, you’ll see it—a calm, “nothing will stop me” determination.
You can do this too. And if you have a pitch that you can really depend on when you need to go for the strikeout, use it for all it’s worth. 8)

One thing the best relievers have, Fingers, Gossage, Sutter, Lee Smith, Tekulve,Quissenberry-they made quality pitches-threw quality strikes.

As a reliever-you must be able to throw strikes, but they can not be “fat strikes” that some starters sometimes get away with. With the game on the line, the guys with the lumber are going to be swinging. Thats why most relievers only have 2 maybe 3 pitches. What ever you throw fastball, breaking ball has got to be thrown for strikes and to the corners of the plate. Otherwise batters just put the bat on their shoulder and thank you for the walk/runs.

Scientific nibbling belongs to the realm of starting pitching-relieving is all about eliminating the chances-one sinking fastball- one rolled up double play-simple as that.

Ian

When Ed Lopat introduced me to strategic pitching, he told me: “Move the ball around—high, low, inside, outside—change speeds—and stay away from the middle of the plate.” He told me a lot about deception on the mound, a specialty of his that served him well for the 12 years he pitched in the majors. He knew I wasn’t fast, not by a long shot, and so he helped me develop and refine a goodly number of breaking pitches—the so-called “snake jazz”. And he told me about what they call nowadays “pitching to contact”: "Get the ball over the plate and make them hit it. Make them go after YOUR pitch, what you WANT them to hit."
So, depending on the situation, I could either strike the batter out or get them to hit one on the ground (such as when I wanted to start a double play). This is something that every pitcher should be able to do, starters and relievers alike. And this kind of versatility is the sort of thing that will have batters tearing their hair out by the roots, assuming they have hair. :slight_smile: 8) :baseballpitcher:

Focus, put pressure on yourself but not stress. Pressure is good, it allows you to know what you have to do and feel like you must do and pushes you to do it, stress is not good it makes you nervous about the pressure, makes you look scared, in fact makes you scared sometimes and you can’t pitch when you’re scared sh*tless.

Zita made a good reference to Mariano he is so calm and relaxed and thrives on the pressure late in the game, thrive on pressure don’t turn into the latest version of the New York Mets.

This is probably my favorite topic!

The closer is the guy who is trusted to shut to the door when it counts. Most closers are known to have velocity and attitude. Velocity is certainly not a pre-requisite for the position, but it helps in detouring action such as bunts, hit and runs, and steals. Softer throwers tend to be more susceptible to these types of things.

The closer must be physically and mentally resilient because they are potentially in the game every single day. Any good closer I have ever been around does not get his confidence shaken easily. Above stuff and velocity ranks attitude. A good closer will present great body language and give his team the sense that the game is over once he arrives.