Cliff Lee and John Lester Curve Ball

how do they throw their curve ball? i want to know how to throw a sweeping curve ball. (btw im a lefty). So if any one know how to grip the ball to make it a sweeping curve ball please tell me. Or if you got a pic of them throwing it. thank you.

here is the only one i found is this a curve?

http://a.abcnews.com/images/Sports/8ea6de7c-697e-4f88-b906-ac9a8574e72f_mn.jpg

[quote=“Forrman”]here is the only one i found is this a curve?

[/quote]

Yes, it’s a spike or knuckle curve, whichever you prefer to call it.

you need to fing C.C. Sabathia’s grip
his is ridiculous
he strikes out guys looking left and right
he’s a lefty also

Kelvin I hope if you have learned something on the forums it’s the fact that the grip doesn’t make the pitch. I could teach my brother CC’s grip but he wouldn’t strike out major league batters. It could be a number of things that make his so effective, like the way his mechanics are, arm angle, sequence, all of those variables make a curveball good, not JUST the grip.

[quote=“kelvinp”]you need to fing C.C. Sabathia’s grip
his is ridiculous
he strikes out guys looking left and right
he’s a lefty also[/quote]

That pitch that you are refering to is also a slider, not a curveball. To my knowledge C.C. does not throw a curveball.

he calls it a curve(the one im talking about) i read it in the espn book
and plus he throws both
the curve is the one that sweeps and usually bounces in the dirt

the grip can change some things
it might feel more comfortable
give you more break
and give you more confidence knowing a great pitchers throws it that way

[quote=“kelvinp”]
and give you more confidence knowing a great pitchers throws it that way[/quote]

hahaha yes if you’re a troll. really you could throw a great curve with a fastball or a splitter or a knuckleball grip. IT DOESNT MATTER.

[quote=“kelvinp”]
and give you more confidence knowing a great pitchers throws it that way[/quote]

You are officially a joke. That’s ridiculous.

the biggest problem with having kelvin on these forums is that other younger kids are reading what he is saying and getting the wrong answers about their questions. Everything I read kelvin say makes absolutely no sense and the biggest problem is other people actually thinking what he says is right. This kid needs to stop giving advice or leave the forums.

if you get a batting stance like ryanhoward it will boost your confidence
mechanics like nolan ryan
glove like A-rod
Big Papi’s shoes

for some it will work

yeah some kind of just like Micheal 2

“just like A-Rod” where a kid finds A-rod’s jock-strap he wears it and lunches 600feet homers in his little league team he then gets shipped to the majors and somebody discovers his secret but gets caught trying to steal the kid jockstrap and get arrested for pedophilly.

:rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2:

:ninja: :ninja: Cool Ninjas

Edinson Volquez

Pedro Martinez is his idol
he uses the same changeup and fastball grip

even the same arm angle
look where he is

Now, I don’t know if Edinson Volquez’ idol is Pedro or not, but the fact that he holds his changeup the same way and has the same arm angle as him (perceived by you at least) could be purely coincidental, or it could be the fact that there are far more pitchers in the MLB than there are changeup grips and that most of them probably share similiar ones.

[quote=“kelvinp”]Edinson Volquez

Pedro Martinez is his idol
he uses the same changeup and fastball grip

even the same arm angle
look where he is[/quote]

yeah and josh beckett has the same size shoes as roger clemens…must have bought bigger shoes to make sure he was just like his idol…jeez

Volquez actually admits it
how dp you think he got the name Lil Pedro
go to espn.com and search edinson volquez
its a whole article about him and pedro

Edinson Volquez aside… Brett Myers uses the exact same grip for his curveball that the Cliff Lee pic showed. Not that I’m saying it’s the be all, end all grip and that everyone should use it, but it just seems like a pretty succesful grip (pitch) when thrown correctly.

Looking up to a major league pitcher is fine, don’t say that you shouldn’t idolize those guys and learn from them?!?

But you have to realize that they are different pitchers. Give Lester CC’s curve and he might not be as effective, it doesnt fit his profile and arsenal. CC throws 94-97, so a breaking ball at 86 that bites in and towards the dirt is an effective way to strike guys out.

Lester and Lee are more crafty guys, I know Lester throws 94-95 when he needs it, but hes not the same type of power pitcher as CC. Slow, sweeping curves work well for those guys to offset low 90’s fastballs and high 80’s cutters.

Look up to MLB players, but know that they are some of the most talented players on earth, and what works for them might not work for you. And yea, grips don’t make the pitch btw guys. Settle on one grip and learn to command it, dont constantly swap them out because one grip gets you another inch of break.

I searched like 10 pages of Google images and couldn’t find his grip. Took me 5 pages to find Sheets’s. Brewers…

Anyway I made a GIF movie of his simply nasty curve: