Clemens using the smith squat machine

we have discussed to use or not use the smith squat machine. just saw a video clip of clemens using it during the hearings coverage.

Think the vid will be on youtube? Maybe Clemens has begun to use it as he has gotten older to avoid stress on his already strong connective tissue so that they won’t be any weaker for games.

Young guys still ought to squat normally. That’s my two cents.

we do regular squats and the smith machine on leg day. also do leg curls and extensions on machines which i’m sure will raise some eye brows.

There is a large difference between something an elite athlete does to maintain levels of strength versus what a normal person should do to maximize their benefits. This is why I do not like to use the example of professional athletes as evidence for a certain tactic - elite level pro’s are much different than your average baseball player.

Just being realistic - the movement sucks. Regular squats are much more effective at building strength and they also protect the knees and hips from injury if done correctly. I’ve yet to see any strength coaches tell anyone to do Smith squats.

[quote=“kc86”]There is a large difference between something an elite athlete does to maintain levels of strength versus what a normal person should do to maximize their benefits. This is why I do not like to use the example of professional athletes as evidence for a certain tactic - elite level pro’s are much different than your average baseball player.

Just being realistic - the movement stinks. Regular squats are much more effective at building strength and they also protect the knees and hips from injury if done correctly. I’ve yet to see any strength coaches tell anyone to do Smith squats.[/quote]

Exactly my point. Once you’re there, you’re there.

Whether or not Clemens used performance enhancers is not my point, but to go along with what KC said…

Mcnamee’s most significant training point was, go lie down and let me put this needle in your butt, I mean come on, he was a dealer for balco. That’s like watching what elite bodybuilders (who usually inject tons of gear) do and thinking that any of there stuff would actually work for normal human beings.

Eric Cressey did some relatively entertaining math on his blog the other day. Basically showing what a sad world it is that making Smith Machines is a multi-million dollar industry in itself.

You are way more likely to get knee problems on one of those anyhow, they cause sheering force on the knee that disrupts the joint. If you squat properly, it should follow natural movement patterns and in the long term enhance flexibility and improve ROM.

Every time i see that clip I laugh, thinking how many HS kids out there are gonna hit up the Smith Machine next time they go into their local gym…

this kind of reminds me of the you can’t teach a little leaguer the mechanics of a major league swing, you need to teach a progression. i don’t buy this one. i don’t think you teach one thing for a number of years and then change it later on, i think nyman is right to say it is better to have no coaching at all instead of incorrect coaching.

you can add john carey to the list of strength coaches who uses the smith machine. he is ultra-conservative when it comes to health and longevity with his physical therapy background. if you do them improperly, they are bad for you. if you do them properly, you should have no problem. since you guys won’t be in line, it won’t take as long to get through the machine. also, if they were really that bad, would they be able to sell seven figures of them. same thing as the leg extension/curl machines.

Machines are safer in the short run for the untrained. If you don’t know what you’re doing, it is easy to hit up the gym and pump some iron on the machines.

It’s not a coherent progression because it ingrains bad habits and in itself is a dangerous movement. The argument you are trying to use does not work because we arent talking about teaching pitching mechanics, but rather completing a strength program. If you think that a 15 year old should be held to the same strength and conditioning standard as Clemens, that’s ridiculous.

Teaching good mechanics at a young age is the same as teaching young guys how to do the major lifts properly, rather than just sticking them on machines like the leg extension, leg curl, and Smith machine. It is an investment that will pay dividends many times over.

The reason so many Smith machines are sold is because the general gym going public is not educated about strength training or exercise science. Things like the leg curl look much easier than deadlifts because the machine is locked into a range of motion. Same with leg extensions and Smith squats. Heck, just look at all the infomercial products that are sold because they are supposedly “easier” than hard work in the gym.

There is a reason why the squat rack and lifting platform are always the least populated area of the gym (and idiots using the squat rack for bicep curls dont count). Hard work aint popular.

very good argument mr kc. makes sense. teaching mechanics is different than training for strength.

actually what he is doing is ONLY recommended USING THE SMITH MACHINE…he is doing a variation of the squat where you slightly have your feet further forward than normal getting more emphasis on the quads alone