Clearinghouse Help!

My son who is a Junior was working on signing up with the NCAA Clearinghouse when he came across the question…“since the age of 14, have you played for any other men’s baseball teams besides your high school team?” Does this mean summer teams or park and rec leagues too? We were not sure what they were asking or whether to just go ahead and answer “no”

I had the same question about that. It says Men’s baseball teams, so what does that mean? My son’s played on a lot of select baseball teams, but I don’t know if that means Men’s baseball or not. Confusing???

It may be getting at the situation where someone on the men’s team was compensated for playing and if your son played on the same team he might have problems with his amateur status. Don’t quote me on that. Do what is right but I’d answer no…I wouldn’t volunteer to muck up the process if at all possible. Easier to beg forgiveness than ask for permission. I call it “throwing out the dumb card.”

On second thought, call the NCAA and ask. They are very nice peoples !

[quote]Customer service hours - 8:30 a.m. to 6 p.m. Eastern time Monday through Friday.

Toll-free phone number (U.S. callers) - Customer service line - 877/262-1492[/quote]

To me that question seems to be asking to know if he plays competitively outside of high school. I use to play soccer and most college soccer coaches wanted to know what travel or competitive teams you played on more than high school to get an idea of what level of player you are. I assume it’s kinda the same with baseball. There are probably kids that go to these things that may play high school ball but aren’t necessarily serious players or it’s not uncommon for high school’s to not have a strong focus on their baseball team. Also if your son plays for another team during the summer or does legion ball or something they’ll want to know where they can see him play if they are interested in him play at a different level than just high school play.

But like the previous poster said, not a bad idea to call and ask the NCAA, it might be an eligibility issue, but i doubt it, more of a inquisitive question to keep track of your kid’s competitive level.