Clearing the lead elbow (Maddux)

I’ve been having control problems, and so I’ve been experimenting a lot… and it feels to me that my glove hand/arm is sort of getting it the way… I feel like my upper body/shoulder may being staying closed too long…

you always here about pitchers needing to stay closed, and ‘don’t fly open’ … but is there such a thing as staying closed too long?

I’m starting to beleive that it’s more important to keep your hips sqaure to the plate than it is the lead shoulder…

The reason I’m starting to beleive this is that last night, while throwing, I was consciously trying to get my elbow clear earlier … and what do you know, my control was sharply improved (I wasn’t really paying much attention to velocity) …

Now I notice that Greg Madduz gets his left arm clear rather early, or, rather, he doesn’t keep his left shoulder square very long… in fact, Maddux hardly even brings the elbow up to a point even with his shoulder…

Something to think about, no?

What you should “think about” is that the shoulders begin to rotate upon front foot landing, not before or after.

what if you hold the shoulder rotation until foot plant, but keep the elbow down? I suspect this is what was helping my control: getting that elbow out of the way.

This is what Maddux does (as you suggested)…

[quote=“andrew.ra.”]what if you hold the shoulder rotation until foot plant, but keep the elbow down? I suspect this is what was helping my control: getting that elbow out of the way.[/quote]The lead elbow is not “in the way” at footplant if it is in any position (within reason, of course). I’m not a big believer in control being the result of any specific item or set of items. Many pitchers with varying sets of mechanics have good control. I think you would be barking up the wrong tree if you were to attribute control problems to your lead elbow, unless it’s doing something radical and strange. Focus on repeatable mechanics (whatever someone wants to call “good” ones), getting used to how your body works with your mechanics, trial and error, trial and error, trial and error. Did I mention trial and error?

I once worked with a kid who had control problems and who, coincidentally or not, also tilted his shoulders (he dropped his pitching arm side shoulder) and brought his glove side arm up and in front of the target (ala Andy Pettitte). This could have obscured his view of the target and/or caused him to lose his concentration.

Since not doing this shouldn’t cost you any velocity, I think it’s something that’s worth playing with.

yeah, the way petite angles back I find nearly impossible to have control that way…

Regarding my Maddux elbow observation, I’m somewhat shocked someone agreed with me on a pitching analysis for once … thanks chris.

It won’t happen again. :wink:

[quote=“andrew.ra.”]I’ve been having control problems, and so I’ve been experimenting a lot… and it feels to me that my glove hand/arm is sort of getting it the way… I feel like my upper body/shoulder may being staying closed too long…

you always here about pitchers needing to stay closed, and ‘don’t fly open’ … but is there such a thing as staying closed too long?

I’m starting to beleive that it’s more important to keep your hips sqaure to the plate than it is the lead shoulder…

The reason I’m starting to beleive this is that last night, while throwing, I was consciously trying to get my elbow clear earlier … and what do you know, my control was sharply improved (I wasn’t really paying much attention to velocity) …

Now I notice that Greg Madduz gets his left arm clear rather early, or, rather, he doesn’t keep his left shoulder square very long… in fact, Maddux hardly even brings the elbow up to a point even with his shoulder…

Something to think about, no?[/quote]

been there and done that. I’ve had the same problem as you. I’ve only played baseball for about three years now. Upon entering to play baseball in high school my sophmore year I had never played a real game in my life. I had played catch before but that was about it. I’ve gone through a ton of mechanics problems and I can’t seem to find the right ones for me. I’ve made drastic improvements up to now which is three years later but I can’t stay consistent. Some days I’ll have mechanics problems and some days I’ll be in a complete groove. Last week I pitched 8 innings in a city-league game which consists of people of all ages. The team we played were mostly older guys in their 30’s or 40’s who use to play in the mexican leagues. Their all washed up but believe me they can still play ball. not to mention one guy hit two home runs of me like nothing and I was throwing heat. Nonetheless I went 8 innings with quite a few strikeouts a few walks and only a few runs earned. It’s outings like this that make want to strive and be better. Getting my elbow out of the way did help me out in this game.