Class of 2018 RHP College mechanics

Here is a quick video from a bullpen today.

I think I see what looks like a sequencing problem - hips and shoulder rotating together instead of hips before shoulders. Thus, you get no hip and shoulder separation and that’s where you get a lot of power from. So that’s where you’ve lost velocity.

This issue is usually caused by a mechanical issue that leads to early shoulder rotation. But, in your case, I don’t really see anything that I would say is causing you early shoulder rotation. So that begs the question, has your back injury reduced your rotational mobility in your spine?

When I was making the video I noticed the same thing.
I definitely had hip separation my senior year of high school. It is possible that the rotational movement of my spine has decreased due to the injury. I would probably bet on getting into a bad habit of firing the top half of my body to early when I started pitching again.
Also, I noticed that I still have a profound drop and drive delivery. Do you think that I could benefit from send the hips forward before the rest of my body? I was watching some video of the high velocity pitchers in the majors and noticed that a great deal of them do this and have a bit of a controlled falling action right before starting their stride.

http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc90/CoachBaker/PIVOT%20FOOT%20ANGLE_zpsarajisiw.png
I noticed your pivot foot is off to an angle, with your heel pronounced, and the instep not flushed with the leading edge of the rubber.

For some pitchers this really impacts their entire muscle pattern(s) and coordination routine(s). Yes, it’s a small thing I know, but, if you think about it, this small yet dynamic setup with your foundation, actually forces resistance to everything upstairs … pivot leg, hips, trunks coil-n-uncoil, shoulders, and so forth…

I would suggest that you video yourself with your pivot foot in the opposite extreme - with the heel against the rubber but the front of your pivot foot pointing outward. Then, progressively work towards a flush placement against the rubber. In other words, progressively little by little, move the front portion of your pivot foot closer and closer to the leading edge of the rubber. Go through, oh say, 20 pitches at one-half game speed. Video from the back, not the side. Video from the back is superior when analyzing form and posture(s).

Somewhere in that routine you’ll find a “ah, that’s it” kind of setup that works for you. Otherwise, you look pretty solid.

As you progress and find a comfort zone, select a pitch that’s your mainstay, a pitch that you really feel comfortable with. See if that pitch still gives you that desired result(s). Then, select your next effective pitch and so on. Working hand-n-hand with your setup and pitch inventory should move you along, fitting into the role that your pitching coach wants you to fill. Be sensitive to that role and be mindful of your personality filling that slot.

Illegal pitch?

8.01a …He shall not raise either foot from the ground, except that in his actual delivery of the ball to the batter, he may take one step backward, and one step forward with his free foot.

I understand that it is permissible, if not legal by OBR, to step to the side. NCAA rules expressly allow a step to the side. To me, to the side means that he doesn’t gain ground toward the plate. Gaining ground in a direction is considered intent to throw in that direction at that time–like for pick offs at first, for example. An umpire would not allow a small step toward first, followed by another step and throw to first. While I’m sure that the hitter is not deceived by this action, it’s not kosher by the rules.

8.01a comment: In the Windup Position, a pitcher is permitted to have his free foot on the rubber, in front of the rubber, behind the rubber or off to the side of the rubber.

While his free foot may start wherever he likes, that doesn’t mean he may move it in whatever direction he likes.

I think you can send more energy up your body with a stiffer lead leg at release. At plant, your angle is good and your knee does not drift toward the plate, which is also good, but I think that leg needs to be straighter at release (not necessarily locked out), but straighter means less absorption and more transfer of energy by that leg up and through the chain, and your hips need to be more forward to get your release out in front of your front foot and really fire your upper half past your lower half during the follow through.
As @Roger says,

It does look a bit stiff and that also may be effecting the follow through.

I noticed the drop and drive as well. This is likely your body finding a position of strength for what you’re asking it to do, Unfortunately, it’s unnecessary movement and it directs energy into the ground as you bring the “fall” to a halt. That’s wasted energy. One thing you can try to help this is to start off with more bend in your knees and waist. That way your body won’t have to drop as much during your delivery. You may end up with a longer stride as well.

I have a live outing tomorrow I’ll try and put this into action and let you know how it goes.

On my wind up comments: I had two other members of my umpire board look at it. As long as the other coach didn’t object, and it was done the same way every time, they wouldn’t make it an issue.
To Coach Baker’s point, getting that pivot foot to fully contact the edge of the rubber would go a long way toward making it less obvious.

I think I’ve had that same windup technique since I was 12 and haven’t had any rule issues with it, but I will keep that in mind for the future. As for the live outing today, it didn’t go nearly as well as I had hoped. Ended up blowing a 9 run lead. Gave up quite a few hits, a lot of them were duck farts right over the first basemen while 3-4 of them were hit well. On the plus side I had 6 Ks. Definitely going to have to tweak my mechanics more this weekend. Also I’m not getting any movement on my 2-seam fastball. Any suggestions?

Do you hold your 2-seamer across the seams or along the seams? For me, along the seams would always move more. Also, would you consider your grip tight or loose? The tighter I grip a pitch, the less it moves. It could also have something to do with forearm and wrist angle a few degrees in either direction may make a big difference. Personally, my 2-seamer felt more like a pronation pitch than my 4-seamer.

I never got movement on my two seamer either. You throw from a pretty high arm slot which tends to reduce the effect of two-seam movement. I did, too. I think it’s OK if you don’t get a lot of movement on your two-seamer as long as you’re spotting your four-seamer well and keeping hitters off balance with your secondary pitches. That high arm slot, which works against two-seam movement, actually works in a pitcher’s favor on the change up and curve ball.