Circuits

in my tuffcuff book, it says to do a circuit between two exercises, for example it says; circuit: incline press,shrugs. What does that mean exactly?

What i do is that i do one set of incline bench and go right to a set of shrugs and do as many sets of those as it says in their with the breaks.

its rotating your exercises in groups so that you can get the most out of them in a quicker time. By doing a circuit you are continuiously doing something instead of doing one exercise at a time and taking long breaks in between your reps. This allows you to manage your time and muscle workouts

It’s aerobic lifting

I wouldnt call it aerobic. You are still engaging in bursts of energy, rather than a slow-paced movement for long periods. You build anaerobic endurance by cutting rest periods and upping the work rate.

Circuits are good when used to take advantage of small windows to work out. They are at their worst when people just rotate from machine to machine in some commercial gym (pec dec to adductor machine, feel the burn!). If you design the program well, it will work.

so what u mean is that, i should go and do incline press (for example) then right away do a set of shrugs, then lik minute rest, then do incline press and shrugs right away w/o rest between

I wouldnt call it aerobic. You are still engaging in bursts of energy, rather than a slow-paced movement for long periods. You build anaerobic endurance by cutting rest periods and upping the work rate.

Circuits are good when used to take advantage of small windows to work out. They are at their worst when people just rotate from machine to machine in some commercial gym (pec dec to adductor machine, feel the burn!). If you design the program well, it will work.[/quote]

I agree to disagree. Any weightlifting exercise is anaerobic. Aerobic exercise means your body uses oxygen to “create” energy. Anaerobic exercise means your body creates energy without oxygen. The by-product of which is lactic acid. The aerobic exercise you should get by doing a circuit helps to reduce the “settling” of lactic acid. (That sore and dead feeling you do after, say, a heavy set of squat.) You know you are producing lactic acid when you get a nice burn during the set. It’s a good thing.

It’s important to do circuits when you workout so you are getting anaerobic and aerobic exercise at the same time. It makes no sense to do aerobic exercise, such as running or cycling, after a workout when you can do your aerobic exercise while you are working out. My workouts are always intense, and I usually try to do enough sets quickly enough to get in some extra anaerobic exercise.

Anaerobic exercise is important because it releases cortisol and HGH into your blood stream. If you have a condition like tendonitis or arthritis, then anaerobic exercise is a must. You won’t get a lot of this from weightlifting, but rather a tough calisthenics or plyometrics session.

[quote=“zkfirebird”]so what u mean is that, i should go and do incline press (for example) then right away do a set of shrugs, then lik minute rest, then do incline press and shrugs right away w/o rest between[/quote]Doing two exercises without rest is referred to as a superset. You’ll often be working different muscle groups (push then pull, etc.). A normal circuit would be 5 or 6 exercises, laid out to hit different muscle groups as you go. An example would be…
10 pushups
10 bodyweight squats
10 dumbbell swings
10 burpees
10 one arm DB snatch

Rest should be limited as low as possible. After one trip through the circuit, you rest 2 minutes or so, then go back through. Depending on the number of exercises in the circuit, the number of trips through the circuit will vary as well. If you are using weighted exercises, like barbell squats, deadlifts, etc. then just be aware to use lighter weights than normal. You’ll be dead tired by the end.

ok so when it says to do a circuit between only two exercises, i would perform those two exercises in a row with the prescribed amount of reps, then rest and repeat?

Si, si. Yep that’s basically what you do. I hope that the circuit is longer than two sets though!

yea i think its 3, thank you all

Is a burpee where you chug a coke then burp?

:laughing:

Here ya go Spence

Burpee

Good guess but no lol. A burpee is kinda like an Up, Down from football. You start standing then you squat, put your hands on the ground, shoot your legs straight out, pull them back in, and then stand. Then repeat. I don’t like doing it in a weight room, but they are good for calisthenics

I’ve never called that exercise by that name but if it is in wikipedia, then it becomes true.

The way I learned them includes a pushup, then you jump into the air to finish the movement. If you dont jump, then it is a squat thrust. If you jump but dont include the pushup, then its called a burp.

The names can get kind of confusing since people have switched the names for different exercises. ^ That is the way Ross Enamait lays the exercises out, so I’ve been going with that.