Circle changeup

I am 13 and I really work on the change up a lot. My dad try to give me different grips to make it move into a righty ( I’m a righty ) . Then i saw that in order to do so. You need to pronate ure arm. Is that right and does itnhurt my arm

tom glavine threw a change up that didnt fade away like you say and he’s now a future hall of famer. it just shows you that you dont NEED it to fade. but for it to fade, you need to slightly pronate your arm like you want to show the batter the circle you are doing. dont worry he wont pick it up if you dont slow your arm down. throw it with a very fast arm motion like your fastball and you’ll have a pitch that either fades into righties or drops down hard just like greg maddux used to throw. from that point, its a personal movement some people get more downward action other more tailing action it depends on a lot of stuff but both are very good and will ultimatly get batters out.

go try it and dont worry, you’ll be wild the first 1000 times you throw it.

Supination will happen naturally depending on your finger pressure and finger placement. I have never heard that a circle changeup is bad for young arms

Can pronation put strain on a young arm or shoulder…jw

If you over-do it, anthing can cause problems. But if you pronate only as much as it comfortable and you limit the number of change-ups you throw to about 20-25% of your pitch total, you should be fine.

Ok

Agreed. Natural pronation, keep the same arm speed and good circle change grip will give you the movement you’re looking for.

If you try to overpronate you may cause yourself injury.The circle change is a great pitch when used correctly. Thrown in the correct location at the right counts. No need to get fancy with it. The more natural it looks leaving your hand the more effective it can be, especially as you move to higher levels of the game.

Pronation is the arms natural defense against injury. When I throw a change-up I use my middle and ring fingers and throw a fastball, just with those middle fingers.

One thing you have to remember is that you must throw any and all pitches with the same arm motion and the same arm speed as you do a fast ball. Any attempt to slow down the arm speed will tip off the batter as to what’s coming and he can set himself for it.
Ed Lopat, my wise and wonderful pitching coach of way back when, once told me that just about any pitch can be turned into a nice changeup, and he demonstrated a few such for me. I found that just using different grips, or holding the ball further forward or further back in my hand, would do the trick. I was having a problem with the circle change, and when he took one look at my grip he told me that my hand wasn’t quite large enough to form the complete circle—the “OK” sign—on one side of the ball, and he suggested I use the half-circle, the backwards “C” instead, and also move my middle and fourth fingers more off center. I tried that, and it worked; I had my circle change! 8)

I tried the pronation and my circle change started to fade into a righty my high school coach was even impressed

great! now make sure you dont exagerate it, that will tip off the pitch and could even hurt you in the long run. a slight pronation and good arm speed to hide the circle is the way to go. maybe when you’ll become so good with it your coach will want you to teach it to everyone in your team!

gotcha and i didnt do a hurcky jerky twist in my arm/wrist it was nice and smooth and got a little fade, not no 12 in. break

sounds like you got it right now work on it to become a good fastball change up pitcher check out rich harden from the oakland a’s if you can catch a ball game he’s pitching in. you’ll understand how to throw a change where to throw it and when. he’s almost exclusively fastball change up and he’s very good.

now wht do u do differently with pronating a changeup when u end up pronating on every other pitch u throw

maybe you just realized you did but you probably always pronated your fastball and never realized it. in the long run this will maybe drop your velocity by 1 or 2 mph but will definetly give you some movement you never had before. it’s all about not exagerating it. its just a little pop of the wrist at the end.

check out the pronation of lincecum on his curveball

every pitches are pronated at one time or an other.

You’re right but with a changeup you pronate when u release ball but with the other pitches u pronate with the follow thru. is that correct?

depending on the pitch yes.

to cover it up quickly,

pronation: fastball, change up, splitter, screwball

supination: curveball, slider, cutter

obviously, like you said, the arm does naturally pronates after a pitch is released no matter what pitch it was.

ahhhh ok thanks 4pie