Chris o'leary

In his most recent post, Chris o’leary said that, even though Joba Chamberlain had an inverted L, he was safe because there was no timing problem. He is wrong. O’leary said that joba’s recent shoulder injury shouldnt hurt…

This clearly shows his issue.[/img]

[quote=“slurve22”]In his most recent post, Chris o’leary said that, even though Joba Chamberlain had an inverted L, he was safe because there was no timing problem. He is wrong. Joba has a timing problem that may affect his shoulder in a couple of years

This clearly shows his issue.[/img][/quote]

Joba is on the DL for a shoulder injury. Out for the year, maybe longer. Sent to a surgeon in Florida who specializes in shoulder injuries and surgical remedies.

But then, I have a feeling you knew that already. :roll:

Hose

Yes, I see it very well. Can you point out which frames this “issue” occurs in? And it’s going to bother him “in a couple years”? Uh, it’s bothering him right now don’t you think, whatever it is.

What exactly is this “timing problem”? You actually believe 30 frames per second is sufficient to validate your claim? What is the timing problem going to do damage to? That clip is from last year. This year, Joba has this hitch after breaking his hands. So his timing may be different anyway.

It’s pretty easy to predict an injury when the guy is ALREADY injured don’t you think?

O’Leary says in a recent entry that he think Carpenter will experience shoulder problems. Well, duh!? They guy already has had labrum surgery when he was in Toronto.

jobas mechs remind me of clemens when he was with the sox

[quote=“slurve22”]In his most recent post, Chris o’leary said that, even though Joba Chamberlain had an inverted L, he was safe because there was no timing problem. He is wrong. O’leary said that joba’s recent shoulder injury shouldnt hurt…

This clearly shows his issue.[/quote]

This isn’t an Inverted L.

His PAS elbow is NOT at shoulder height and his elbow is NOT bent 90 degrees. At most it’s on the good side of borderline.

This is an Inverted L.

jobas mechanics have nothing to do with him getting hurt. he has tendinitis, which occurs from throwing to much or to hard.

Tendinitis? That’s great news. From what they were saying on the news yesterday, he was in a world of hurt, no pun intended.

Hose

ZOMG Joba is hurt, there must be some fatal flaw with his throwing motion. Oh wait, every throwing motion is flawed, because throwing overhand IS NOT NATURAL.

Could it be that Joba’s shoulder is a little tired because he throws 100 or so pitches a game, many of which are 96+? Could it be that his offspeed pitches are two breaking balls that he throws hard with alot of supination. His shoulder just needs some rest, hes going to be fine…

[quote=“FSTBLLTHRWER”]ZOMG Joba is hurt, there must be some fatal flaw with his throwing motion. Oh wait, every throwing motion is flawed, because throwing overhand IS NOT NATURAL.

Could it be that Joba’s shoulder is a little tired because he throws 100 or so pitches a game, many of which are 96+? Could it be that his offspeed pitches are two breaking balls that he throws hard with alot of supination. His shoulder just needs some rest, hes going to be fine…[/quote]

And if you know a little about Joba’s history this is not his first bout with tendinitis. He missed significant time his senior year at Nebraska.

And if you alot about Joba’s history, you have a pretty good idea why he has tendinitis problems and why this isn’t going to go away. It has nothing to with his mechanics.

Joba’s shoulder injury is the effect of over use. His mechanics are fine. This is common of these overnight superstars. Kerry Woods is another great example. By the time these guys make it to the show after killing themselves moving up through the farming systems, their bodies are done. Then all of a sudden everyone is saying they are the next greatest thing, they have their picture everywhere, everyone is talking about them, they are getting the key to the city and when they step on the hill for their debut their bodies are telling them to go the hell back to the training table. Then one season later if they are lucky you see them on the DL. I just hope that he doesn’t end up like Kerry Woods.

Yah who would want more than 10 years in the bigs and be among the save leaders in the league…
I don’t disagree that Woods was over-used in his pre-MLB days, and it had a toll, but it gets a little old all this “projecting” as to what he would have been if only…this or that…he made it to where he went…he paid a price because of X,Y and Z…Joba? Well he’s been babied as much as anyone in the bigs and if the over-use that got him there was too much…well he got his pay check. We cannot really say that if only he’d done this or that…he followed the path, he got to the dance…I keep looking for the mythical magical beast who has “trained properly”, gotten his mechs down perfectly and is line for a Maddux-esque career because of it…Every major league pitcher has to face injury for one reason or the other, kids who want to get there face the same…Really is any job different? Secretaries get karpel tunnel, brick masons get sore backs…why is it that we think baseball pitchers are any different? Like somehow it can be prevented in all but the most extraordinary cases…it just is not reality…reality is just the other way…the very extraordinary get by with little or no injury and the rest have to prepare and deal with the ramifications of the action they take…mason, secretary or pitcher.

[quote=“slurve22”]In his most recent post, Chris o’leary said that, even though Joba Chamberlain had an inverted L, he was safe because there was no timing problem. He is wrong. O’leary said that joba’s recent shoulder injury shouldnt hurt…

This clearly shows his issue.[/img][/quote]

Since i have been studying Chris O’Leary i have learned 2 things, he is EXTREMELY intelligent, and also he is becoming more like the other pitching coaches/analysist in the way that he is becoming complacent and trying to please his viewers by not being wrong. but the truth is Joba is big enough to substain that type of force on his arm upo to this point. he keeps looking at his mechanics but i think its more than that. i think some type of workout or throwing a football or something has been taken out of his routine and its causing lack of strength along with his soreness. i also believe whatever it was that he took pf his routine, must have been some type of work similar to a plyometric workout. Although were seeing the same problem with Aroldis, but i think his is coming from pitching to often rather then mechanics, like Joba.

Interesting thread. Watching Joba’s mechanics, I think of Wolforth’s more recent teachings on injuries. Initially Joba’s mechanics look fine. The only thing I see in this GIF is that his elbow MAY get above his shoulder. At this angle it is hard to tell. According to my interpretation of Wolforth, Joba’s problems occur AFTER releasing the ball during deceleration. He has nice pronation but seems to not have the flexability in his left hip to allow for efficient deceleration. As a result, you can see his arm recoil at the end of his delivery.