Choosing who to play for

so i went to AA tryout call backs and am now being fought over between the two AA teams that the tryouts for for

one team has the assistant coach from the junior team ontario coaching them and the other team has some random guy that i dont really know much about other than hes friendly

mr. team ontario said with my ‘phenomenal’ arm speed and strength that with better mechanics i could be throwing high 80’s by the end of next year possibly this year although its unlikely

both coaches also stated for me to be ready for AAA teams to offer me to play for them which made me feel good lol

question is, which team do i play for… im leaning towards the team ontario coach team but the other team seems to have the better players, which makes me think i might benefit more from that than a coach?

Trust your instincts. You say you’re leaning more towards one particular coach—it’s likely he’s the one you know better and are more comfortable with. So I would suggest you go with that one, at least for now.

[quote=“OffSet”]

question is, which team do i play for… im leaning towards the team ontario coach team but the other team seems to have the better players, which makes me think i might benefit more from that than a coach?[/quote]

I’m unfamiliar with how Canadian baseball works. In the states, AA or AAA ball is affiliate ball, that is, pro teams affiliated with MLB teams. How old are you?

I’m guessing both teams play at a high level. If true, then determine what your goals are for the coming year. Improvement? Or is the W the most important consideration for you?

Personal improvement is great, and what everyone is ultimately shooting for. However, the guys who get the most looks at tournament time are the guys who put W’s on the board. Sorta depends on what level of development you’re at and your comfort level with the different programs.

That said, a great coach can make bad players successful. A bad coach can allow great players to lose. Look at the Spankees…er…Yankees this year. Can you deny the talent? No. Does their record reflect that talent? No.

Ultimately, your choice depends on what you want to accomplish, and either choice may prove to be boon or bust. It’s up to you to make the most of whatever opportunities you have regardless of where or who you play for.

Good luck!

Hose

Offset,

Consider talking this question over very thoroughly with your dad. He knows you better than we do and he may be able to help you understand strength and weakness issues in both scenarios in a way that is highly personalized for you.

thanks for the advice, we’re leaning more towards the team with the better coaches for personal development and dad feels that i will get more looks being a stickout player on a losing team

who knows, maybe the coaches will turn this team around and we might win :cap:

over the past 2 seasons i havent had much of any coaching other than volunteer coaches and the occasional pitching lesson ive developed from not knowing anything about baseball other than the rules to being able to standout in higher end rep and highschool ball… not trying to sound self absorbed just couldnt think of another way to put it

i dont know if i should keep going without coaching and just learn by playing or if thats not as beneficial as coaching would be since ive never had it?