Chest workout during ball

okay so i got pretty good size on my chest. But i want to really give baseball a go. So i don’t want to much size.

Now my question:

Should i lay off chest workout completley. Maybe only do it once a month.

My workout routine would now be this instead:

Mon: Back
tues: shoulders
wed: off
thurs: legs
Fri: arms
sat/sun: off

What do you guys think? Don’t want to much mass

for chest i would just go with a DB press that doesn’t involve a huge amt of weight.

why not try going @ chest 2x a week? Like a Monday/Thursday, or Tuesday/Friday. Cut down on the weight, say to 65 - 75% of the weight you’re using now and tailor your workouts to more proprioceptively enriched environments? You can superset strength & stability exercises. For example:

3 - 4 sets of 8 - 12 reps of dumb bell chest presses on a stability ball, immediately followed by a matching # of stability ball push ups? I will absolutely guarantee your core and balance improve. Give it a shot!

1. why are you on a bodybuilder split if you don’t want to add too much mass

2. keep the rep range low (6 reps or less, so 4x6, 5x5, 6x4, 5x3, 3x5 etc) and go for max strength not hypertrophy.

3. Agree with ecmike that you can also work in some stability.

One Arm DB Bench Press is your best friend, and elevated pushups variations, especially stability ball pushups are a great assistance pressing exercise.

I don’t know that I would superset them, but using a max strength pressing exercise and a stability assistance pressing exercise in the same upper body workout is definitely a good idea.

Re-think that bodybuilder split you’re doing…a whole day dedicated to shoulders? Seriously?

Keep working and learning…you’ll get where you want to go

If you really want to give baseball a go you need to structure your training program like an athlete and not a bodybuilder. A few suggestions:

1. Forget about training body parts. Think in terms of movement patterns (i.e. Upper body push/upper body pull, etc)

2. If you are going to be lifting 4 days a week, I would suggest alternating b/t upper body and lower body emphasis
    Mon/thurs: upper body
    Tue/fri: lower body
    Corrective and mobility movements can be done on all days

3. As has been mentioned on previous posts, keep the rep range on the lower end to go for max strength- not hypertrophy.

Lots more but that should get you started in the right direction. Hope that helps- Good luck!!

i have the bodybuilding routine, because i do want size, just not in the chest area.

Everything else, shoulders, back, legs, i want them to be as big as possible.

ya i will go back to strength training. thx

Size is not that relevant. Strength is far more important, and building a lot of muscle for the sake of sarcoplasmic hypertrophy doesn’t generally have a lot of athletic carryover.

Additionally, building a lot of muscle in the shoulder girdle can have a pretty bad detrimental effect if it is paired with the shrugging motion that comes along with this.

You are a pretty strong guy from your other posts, but I would rethink this concept of wanting size.

just wondering what you mean by the shrugging motion.

As in the exercise “SHRUGS”. or by the way your shoulders look after you bulk them up.

Another thing: With strength doesn’t come size as well. I am getting bigger, but i am also getting alot stronger as well.

[quote=“BarryBonds999”]just wondering what you mean by the shrugging motion.

As in the exercise “SHRUGS”. or by the way your shoulders look after you bulk them up.

Another thing: With strength doesn’t come size as well. I am getting bigger, but i am also getting alot stronger as well.[/quote]

The shrug motion gets triggered when overhead pressing is done properly to protect the shoulders, and obviously when the power clean and/or shrugs are done. The problem is that this motion can cause impingement issues when throwing baseballs, which is why OH pressing is generally looked down upon in a strength training program for baseball athletes.

And size comes along with strength. But that’s different than specifically training for size (sarcoplasmic hypertrophy driven via high-rep lifts).

yes hypertrophy is more for muscle mass, but it is still good for adding strength as well since you are generally in the 8-12 range.
It does cause bulkiness,

Strength training is better, i agreee.