CheckPoints=Garbage

i think checkpoints actually hurt a pitcher than help him. in little league i think its ok but i hear alot about college and highschool coaches using checkpoints. Think it creates less fluidness in a persons motion…anyone agree?

i would say that there are certain “points” that one must meet in a delivery that are necessary for success and that check points are a good way to reference a certain point in the delivery that needs to be addressed. i do agree thought that it is not correct to teach checkpoint to checkpoint because, yes, that inhibits fluidness and the building of momentum. i think that the term checkpoint gets a bad rap because people don’t know how to use them. if you use them in analyzing someones mechanics it can help to isolate the problem, but you can’t teach a kid to be a robot and go from point to point. it must be smooth, athletic, and explosive.

JJ,

I think you have a good point, if it’s a case of mechanical checkpoints being identified incorrectly, taken out of sequence, or misused in other ways.

Back in the day, I used to get my Little Leaguer son to do a 1-2-3 drill, where he would lift (and hold his balance on one leg), stride (and hold balance for a moment) then throw. Fortunately, I met someone who taught me that “stop at the top” is a dead-end for the vast majority of pitchers…so needless to say, I don’t use that check-point drill anymore.

On the other hand, identification of mechanical checkpoints for correction or refinement is all to the good, as long as you and your coach understand how they should be properly sequenced and timed in your individual pitching delivery.

i dont think there totally wrong. i just think its wrong to use them in late highschool and college. i hear from people that higher levels try to use them. but i figure if your at college level already the most they can do is hurt. i do think there important though in little league

re: “but i figure if your at college level already the most they can do is hurt. i do think there important though in little league”

-------It’s not at all that simple, JJ. Pitchers don’t learn their craft by the time they are finished with LL, and then stop learning. They don’t develop a set of mechanics at 12 yo that is then set in stone.

Athletes refine their mechanics more and more carefully, and do quality reps more and more–not less–as they advance in their sport.

Elite pitchers who develop problems with their mechanics, either from injury or any other reason, study the checkpoints in their delivery when they were going good and they use elite coaches to help them regain the mechanical form that helped make them good.

Dedication to improvement, refinement of mechanics, and correction of flaws, are never-ending processes for any athlete who is continuing to advance–don’t kid yourself about the value of checkpoints. Used well, checkpoints are a part of every good athletes life.

You are probably skeptical because you’ve seen a lot of misuse of checkpoints during the training of Little League kids. The idea is not to make an athlete robotic, with a jerky motion. The idea is to optimize mechanics by isolating and correcting flaws or inefficiencies.

great point about athletes always evolving flippin…clemens is a great example (put your personal opinions on the steroids issue aside). look at film of him in his first stint with the yankees and then look at film of him with the astros. he really reworked his mechanics and it payed dividends. he started sinking the ball and it made his splitter even nastier. to take an example from another sport, tiger woods, a couple years back, reworked his swing and from what i can tell he’s doing alright for himself :wink: it’s taken me personally a couple years into college to really start to figure it out!