Checking Base Runner on 1st

A base runner on first is the gateway to 90 feet closer to scoring. There are other dynamics to be sure, but the simple truth is, it’s the starting point for you and your backstop to be alert.

Take for example this picture below…
http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc90/CoachBaker/runneronfirst-1_zps40dc4fde.jpg
See how far out this base runner is from the bag. It’s kind of hard to judge the distance he’s taking away from you - BUT, if you know the dimension of that quarter circles just to the right of the bag ( or to the left as you’re looking at from the mound) you can estimate how much time that runner is using against you.

For example, if a batter can make contact with a pitch and then bolt to first in 4 to 4.5 seconds - which is normal for varsity play on a 90 foot diamond, then it’s only logical that whatever distance that base runner takes form first will reduce that time.

So, that quarter circle to the right of first is normally 13 feet, on 90 foot diamonds. That base runner in our picture is 13 feet closer to second, and, if he took only 4 seconds to make it to first, then he’s only got 77 feet to make it second. You and your backstop would be hard pressed to ignore this base runner.

Below is another base runner doing the same thing… only this time this base runner has about a 14 foot start towards second. NOT GOOD.
http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc90/CoachBaker/runneronfirst-3_zps4da08cbe.png

Below is a picture of a pitcher who is not allowing this base runner to take advantage of him. He’s going to “check” this base runner back - even try a pickoff, if he can.
http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc90/CoachBaker/runneronfirst-2_zpsbe8e5410.jpg

If a base runner on first does attempt to steal, the backstop can be equally effective by how accurate his throw is to second. Below is an example - in very simple terms, of how the backstop can control his throw with the greatest amount of accuracy.

• The throw to second has the best chance for accuracy and purpose if the backstop throws directly over the right-hand corner of the pitcher’s rubber, and at the same time, just above the height of his pitcher. Now the backstop has to have a strong arm for this - no fluff throws. Also, notice that fielder just to the right of second - THAT’S where the ball is going to be, greeting the base runner from first and in complete control of the fielder covering second.

http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc90/CoachBaker/tosecond_zps19b9fd6f.jpg

When my wise and wonderful pitching coach, Eddie Lopat, was working with me on holding runners on base, he said “Let’s start with something easy, like a bump on a log—a runner who isn’t going anywhere.” We worked all the way up to the definite threat to steal, and in the process he taught me a most devastating snap-throw pickoff move that he said I could use to any base. He also told me to watch the runner on first for a secondary lead—this would be the tipoff as to the guy’s intentions—and if he runs, throw to SECOND, making sure that either the shortstop or the second baseman is there and in position to grab the throw and make the putout. Sometime later he had me participate in a PFP workout with some second-line Yankee players, which gave me an unparalleled opportunity to practice that snap-throw pickoff move! Believe me, I got more out of that three-hour workout than most pitchers do in a month or even a season. :slight_smile: [/youtube]

Are you high?
Panic attack when youre high, usually translates into a trip. Ive had them just before your brain tripped you up haha my friend once got poked in the eye, rest in the evening (we went to a basketball game after a sesh), he kept rubbing his eyes that cover it. The next day, he told his eyes a bit, but because it is his focus on the night he had an unpleasant experience, that is, what is the itinerary of.
All the physical stuff BTW due to dehydration and or eating a meal. I bet, you either speak of when it happened, or of something over a period of time passed

http://www.60secpanicsolutionreviews.com/privacy-policy

[size=24]WHAT?[/size]

A panic attack is something that could happen at any time, not just in the heat of a ballgame. But there are ways of defusing such incidents. For example, Lefty Gomez was pitching in the 1938 World Series, and he ran into trouble. Eighth inning, one out, two men on and a dangerous hitter up there at the plate. He could have been heading for a full-blown panic attack, but then he suddenly called time and stepped off the mound. A small plane had come into view, and the pilot was evidently a stunt flier because he started in on doing loops and rolls and all the things stunt fliers usually do. Gomez was an airplane buff, and this caught his attention; for the next ten minutes or so he just stood there transfixed and watched the aerial show. Nothing else existed, fans, playing field, umpires, nothing—just the plane doing its thing. Finally, with a final dip and a wave, the pilot flew out of sight—and the tension was broken. Gomez, now completely relaxed, returned to the mound, struck out the next two batters and got out of the inning unscored on. He pitched a scoreless ninth and got the win.
Allie Reynolds—who usually was not afraid of anything—would do one of two things when he was really in a jam. He would call time, go to the rosin bag and futz with it for a minute or so—or he would reach into his back pocket, pull out an orange, peel it and eat it slowly, concentrating on just that orange. That broke the tension for him. As for your friend who got a poke in the eye—how about a top sirloin steak on that eye and just lie down and take it easy? The shiner should go away in a day or so.

Zita,
I’ve read that post of lillymarchal123 over and over and I have no idea what, if any, this has to do with the topic? Even at that, it rambles and the web site posted below his comments, I assume, pertains to … something…

I think lillymarchal123 was a little over the top with the caffeine and stuff, when he/she composed this one. No insults intended … it’s just the way I read it…

Coach B., that guy was heading for a full-blown panic attack, for whatever reason, and he would have done well to put that top sirloin steak on his eye as well and just go to bed and sleep it off. He probably had a bad day on the mound, or at bat, with nothing working for him—no wonder his post was so tho.roughly disjointed. (smile)