Chasing the Dream

I’ve decided to make my own pitching log in hopes to chart my progression along side pitchers just as motivated as myself.

I am 18 years old heading into my Freshman year of college at a D3 school in Massachusetts. I am a bit undersized at 5’8 on the dot and 153 lbs. I have always thrown decently hard for my size, however, I know I need a lot more to reach my goals. I am working with LankyLefty to get my weight and strength up, ideally I would like to be a lean 165 of pure muscle.

Around this time last summer I really got serious about pitching and throwing harder. I found Driveline baseball and many others, and thus began my velocity development. Last summer I was clocked at 81 mph, we shall see in the fall just how far I’ve come. Over last fall and winter I bought myself a set of weighted balls and a 2lb TAP ball. Due to the lovely Maryland weather I was stuck inside my house for a solid 3 months. after the first week I decided to take matters into my own hands. I asked around and finally got my hands on a pop up net. I set the net up in my basement and threw as much as I could with the little space I had. When I came back in the spring my mechanics felt entirely different even though I had hardly worked on them. I felt faster, stronger, and much more aggressive on the mound. During our first week of spring practice our Ace pitcher claimed to have broken his thumb in a wrestling match at school (all boys school). Immediately I knew I had to take on the load. I got to face the top schools in Maryland and even the country. If anyone is familiar with the DMV area it included Dematha, Riverdale Baptist (twice), Bullis, and many more. After facing Dematha and carrying a no hitter into the 6th inning I realized I could pitch with the best of them. This was exactly the kind of success I needed to reignite the fire inside myself and chase my dreams.

This summer I played American Legion Baseball for my local Post. I won’t bore anyone with stats and what not but it was a great season of learning and developing. As for the rest of the summer I have really put my work in the weight room and in my bullpens. I am throwing harder than ever and with more movement and control on my pitches as well. Long toss and weighted balls are almost everyday, and for the last 3 weeks I have gotten the best hitters I know to hit a simulated 5 inning game once a week just to keep my focus up and aggression.

I will hopefully be adding a new mechanics and pitches video within the next week. Stay tuned.

During my throwing workout today I found moving my feet faster during step-behinds made my throws a lot harder… anybody have a reason why?

I’ve started really getting serious during my weighted ball training, rather than one throw with a 6, then one with a 7, 8, 9, etc… I’m now doing 8-10 throws with each on up to 11 oz and sometimes 12 if I’m feeling up to it, then back down to 4oz and 3oz. Arm feels stronger and faster than ever.

Welcome to the forum man!

I’ve always wondered about weighted balls, what do they nesscessarily help? It seems like it would only put more stress on the arm, them again it strengthens it? Why do you use them?

Anyways, congrats On D3. I’m hoping to play college ball someday. Are you gonna stick with the school or maybe transfer to d2/d1?

[quote=“Dzylka98”]Welcome to the forum man!

I’ve always wondered about weighted balls, what do they nesscessarily help? It seems like it would only put more stress on the arm, them again it strengthens it? Why do you use them?

Anyways, congrats On D3. I’m hoping to play college ball someday. Are you gonna stick with the school or maybe transfer to d2/d1?[/quote]

I’m not exactly qualified to speak about weighted balls so instead here’s where I learned about them https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W84Am7RjvgQ adding to what he says, my theory is that the heavier the weights or underweights force my body to adjust and make my mechanics as efficient as possible (even though you can’t necessarily see them). Although I understand many people will disagree and say they’re bad, in my personal use I have found them extremely helpful in both arm strength/speed and arm health.

As for my college, I do not plan to transfer no matter how well I develop over the next couple years. The team is extremely competitive (hoping to make a run at the national title), and the coaching staff is great. Not to mention they had a player drafted last year, so why can’t I do the same.

Just threw my last bullpen before I head off to college this weekend. Felt pretty good, not great.

Changeup has become my plus pitch, my slider is day to day, and my two seam is consistently moving.

After looking at my mechanics I’m starting to think playing shortstop all these years has hurt my natural throwing motion. I look and feel like I’m trying to get the ball out as quick as possible instead of throwing it hard. Hopefully becoming a PO will work that out of me naturally.

As for this summer I put on a solid 8 pounds in the last 2 months thanks to LankyLefty and his workouts and nutritional help. I feel stronger and more explosive than ever, sooner or later I feel my mechanics and body will begin to understand itself better and begin reaching new levels of velo.

Here is my mechanics video from today

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DyW7iROMjDI

A month and a half into college now and things are looking pretty good. First day of scrimmages coach clocked me hitting 85, which was a lot better than I anticipated. Unfortunately the coach didn’t bring out the gun again all fall so Im not sure where I ended up. Now that fall ball is over I can get back into throwing weighted balls and working out hard.
Weighed in at 150 today which is terribly depressing after all the work I put in this summer gaining weight. I guess the freshman 15 doesn’t apply to all of us.