Changing arm-slot

Was taking velo readings today during a bull-pen. I sat 82-83 with my usual arm slot, which is a 3/4 slot with shoulder tilt. I found it somewhat interesting that I could consistently hit 83, yet could not hit 84. I’ve noticed most pitchers, even while throwing max effort, cannot regularly hit their max. So I am a little confused by that, but I am assuming it means there is something left in the tank.

But a more interesting note: for reasons I don’t recall, I decided to throw a pitch side-arm. Now, looking at some video, the release is actually slightly above side-arm, so its like 3/4 without shoulder tilt. The first pitch I threw from this slot was 85, and then sat 84-85 from this slot for about a dozen pitches. I seemed to get better separation from this slot.

So I throw harder from the lower slot, but all of my off-speed and control is based off of my high slot.

So my question is if I should switch to the low slot, or stay with the high slot? I’m not trying to re-invent the wheel here, but I am concerned my velocity is capped with my high-slot angle.

Edit image doesn’t seem to be working so here’s the url:
http://postimage.org/image/v7kgohnsp/

Well which feels better? Which one gives you better accuracy? Is there pain from either slot? My advice is foe you to stay with the arm slot that feels the most natural. There’s no point in fixing srmething that ain’t broken. You want more velocity? Improve mechanics and get stronger. Because if you switch arm slots you have to adjust your accuracyand adjust to new movements from all pitches.
Hope this helps
-Billy

It looks, from the pic sequence that you might have found your natural slot. The main difference I see is the tilt. Without the tilt you likely have more core control and are getting better separation, hence the increase in velo.

IMO, I would stay in this new slot and adjust my release points to adapt to it. Your control will come with adjustment.

And did you think that as soon as you started throwing from that aspect that you’d be accurate immediately?
You likely happened into a better timing sequence, repeating that is what will bring success but not before you put the work in.

My incredible pitching coach of long ago had a basic premise: every pitcher has a natural motion. So what he would do was work with that pitcher to show him or her how to make the most of it. My natural motion, which I discovered at about age 11, was a real honest-to-gosh sidearm, and so he taught me how to use both the long-arm and the short-arm versions of it. It seems you have found yours, and so I strongly encourage you to stay with it. Maybe you won’t have loads of velocity—although I remember Jeff Nelson, who was a natural sidearmer, throwing in the high nineties—but you will have tremendous control (location) and command of your pitches, and you will have an extra weapon that other types of pitchers don’t have: the crossfire. Go to it! :slight_smile: 8)