Changeup question

I throw a changeup with a grip that is a combination of a pitchfork and circle change. Although this is a weird grip it gets me more speed drop and movement and most important i can throw it more accurately than any other grip. This pitch has worked very well ever since i started throwing it. But the problem is that i fiddle with my glove while gripping it. Do you habe any advice for fixing this?

Start with the change grip.

don’t do that…any decent hitter will pick up on that. just fiddle with your glove every single pitch, no matter what.

don’t do that…any decent hitter will pick up on that. just fiddle with your glove every single pitch, no matter what.[/quote]

Ok thank you for the advice.

Start with that grip every single pitch and only change to your other pitches in the glove, hopefullly it doesn’t require so much effort to get the other grips.

That’s right. If you’re going to futz around with your glove, do it with every pitch you throw. One thing you don’t want to do is telegraph one or another pitch.
I remember when Whitey Ford first came up to the Yankees in 1950. He started one game, and the opposition was eating him up, turning every pitch he threw into line-drive extra-base hits, and someone was yelling behind him all the time. Then, in the fifth inning, first-baseman Tommy Henrich came running out to the mound and said to him, “Hey, Whitey, that first-base coach is calling every pitch you’re throwing”—and that was the first indication that Ford might be telegraphing his pitches.
The next day pitching coach Jim Turner and extra pitching coach Ed Lopat took Ford into the bullpen and had him throw from the stretch, because that was when the problem was occurring. Turner was baffled and kept scratching his head, but Lopat, who had an uncanny way of being instantly able to zero in on a problem, spotted it at once. Ford, all unawares, was positioning his glove hand one way for a fast ball and another way for a curve, and because he was a southpaw it was no problem for the opposing first-base coach to pick up on it and relay the information to the hitters. Lopat took Ford aside, quietly told him what he was doing wrong, and worked with him to correct the problem in that one bullpen session.
So there you have it. If you want to futz around with your glove, do it all the time. Keep the batters guessing. 8)

DON’T DO THAT!

Why do you say to not do that King? How will hitters pick it up if he pregrips the change up before every pitch? Rather than fiddling when hes setting the grip up for the change up?

because if he grips change up before every pitch then he will “fiddle” with his glove every time he throws a fastball, curveball, slider, etc.
however…every time he throws a change up, he wont fiddle his glove. good hitters are going to pick that up and realize that the only time he doesn’t move his glove is when he’s throwing a change up.

thats why its better to just move the ball and your glove every single pitch, regardless of what’s being thrown.

More than likely if he grips the changeup then when he changes to fb or his other pitches there will be no “fiddle” in the glove. You should grip your most difficult grip as your natural grip and then change to your other pitches in the glove.

there will still be glove movement. maybe not a lot…but there will definately be enough to tip the pitch.

If you’ve practiced cycling through all of your grips at least one million times then you should just slip from grip to grip without tipping anything, including changeups. Tougher pitches like knucklers and fork balls are the ones that you are normally more careful with.

If you need a quick tip and have large enough hands: keep your glove hand open wide, letting only the back of your wrist (or one of your fingers) rest against the glove. Or like I do, hold your throwing-hand pinky to your glove pinky and let the glove hover over your hand like an umbrella.

I agree with beard bread, I don’t have a problem moving from 2 seam, 4 seam, 2 changeups and knuckle curve…my toughest pitch to grip was my knuckle curve when I was younger so I always started with that and then changed. Now I don’t have any issue gripping all my pitches in the glove without tipping them. I did practive changing grips sitting watching TV, good time to work on it when nothing else is going on! Guess you feel that any time you change your grip it will come with movemet?

[quote=“beard bread”]If you’ve practiced cycling through all of your grips at least one million times then you should just slip from grip to grip without tipping anything, including changeups. Tougher pitches like knucklers and fork balls are the ones that you are normally more careful with.
If you need a quick tip and have large enough hands: keep your glove hand open wide, letting only the back of your wrist (or one of your fingers) rest against the glove. Or like I do, hold your throwing-hand pinky to your glove pinky and let the glove hover over your hand like an umbrella.[/quote]

The problem is that i have small hands (i am only 120 and i cycle through my grips everyday.

if you cant do like buwhite then just try fiddling your glove every pitch. its just about finding what works for you

if you cant do like buwhite then just try fiddling your glove every pitch. its just about finding what works for you