Change up?

Can someone tell me how to do a good change? I’ve seen the grips and stuff, I just cant get it working.

Here’s some tips that have helped me out.

-Try holding the ball against the pads of your hand right above your palm, not in the palm. The further the ball is in your hand the harder it will be to control.

-On release, instead of trying to pronate alot, I try to think of opening my pinky, ring, and middle fingers (your hand will natural pronate some when you do this). Opening the fingers at release point helps me to slow the ball down, and opening those fingers also causes the ball to roll off that side of my hand, giving it a slight tailing break to it.

i think that a change up probably is one of the hardest pitches to learn. You have to play around with it and figure out what is effective for you. its tough but if you find a good grip that fits you… you gotta practice it alot before games. its not something that usually just comes automatically.

Heres a change up i throw , it’s very difficult to control at first so i advise you use it during warm up and BP for practice before using it in games:

Place the ball deep against ur palm and hold the ball there using ur thumb only. Have ur finger not even touching the ball.The pitch flies high at first just remeber to aim it low (whe i say aim i dont mean in literally)
The frictions between ur palm agaisnt the ball and the thumb slows the ball down well…and since ur thumb as it tightly the ball has dropping spin to it making the pitch drop as it reaches the batter.It almost looks like a forkball if throw correctly.

If you’re worried about the batter seeing ur fingers , dont be ive asked both batter and catcher when i throw it if they see the fingers and they say no.

The point of having a change up is to take away velocity while maintaining fastball arm speed. I have seen alot of different change up grips, and i think it depends what kind of pitcher you are. The main thing to concentrate on is allowing the ball at the release point not to catch your fingers and fly, but to slide off your fingers so the ball travels slower. I personally use a circle change that i circle my thumb and index, dig the ball into the bottom of my other three fingers, and pronate the wrist so the ball comes off those three fingers and tails down and in (to a rh) while making sure i take NOTHING off my arm speed. The second you slow down your arm speed that pitch becomes BP.

My advise to you is to play around with a few grips and wrist angles and see which one lets the ball move the most or is the most accurate. Also, don’t listen to coaches or people who tell you there is only one way to throw a change.

In order to keep arm speed the same do you collaspe the back leg instead of pushing off as much?

To throw a change you keep the same mechanics, including the same arm speed, but the different grip causes the ball to be thrown slower.

ALL the same mechanics Basically you grip the ball tighter to slow the ball down , thats part of the deception of the change up , everything about you says FASTBALL until the last few seconds.

[quote=“zforce39”]i think that a change up probably is one of the hardest pitches to learn. You have to play around with it and figure out what is effective for you. its tough but if you find a good grip that fits you… you gotta practice it alot before games. its not something that usually just comes automatically.[/quote]i personally disagree, the changeup is the most basic pitch you can have besides a fastball…you practice every pitch before games…theres maybe 2 grips for a changeup-both basic (circle and palm ball)

No everyone of us on here is different, a grip that may work for me wont work for you but there is one thing ive been taught and told that has drastically changed my offspeed from just a slower straight ball to a legitimate change up. A pitching coach told me depending on how you through the change up, i held a circle. He said grip the bar tighter into you hand obviously then throw with a loose wrist. Not sure if this will help but it sure did help me.