Change-up

What does a pitcher do to have a successfull change-up?

What is the key to having a great change-up?

Does he slow down his arm or is the grip all you need?

One of the most important pitches is the change-up. The key to this pitch is making it look like a fastball. Delivery, arm angle and arm speed should remain the same as a fastball. The grip will do all the work. Tuck the ball back into your hand, remember that the more friction on a ball the slower it goes. Check out Steven’s page on grips, it will help you a lot.

you also need a good fastball…i think when your younger and you don’t throw very hard its not as effective as when your fastball can hit low 80’s and higher

[quote=“nefmanrrique”]What does a pitcher do to have a successfull change-up?

What is the key to having a great change-up?

Does he slow down his arm or is the grip all you need?[/quote]

Answer #1: Keep mechanics the same as the fastball.

Answer #2: Deception, deception, deception.

Answer #3: It’s the grip, and it’s the slight pronation (turning over) of the throwing hand on the release of the change-up.

isn’t there an easier way, like if you drag your foot, you get better decption? Thats what I heard at least.

can you change that pic of michael jackson,makes me queasy.The best tip i ever had for a change was to hold the change with all four fingers but dont bury the ball in your palm.keep the ball in your fingertips or you’ll lose control by burying the ball.finish by “scratching the chalk board”.

I hold my circle change in my ring and pinky finger, that way I dont got to focus on the pronation aspect and naturally your pinky and 4th finger are weaker fingers so the velocity takes care of itself. I really recommend not trying to drag your foot, because as you get to high levels good hitters will pick up on that and sit on your change

Can a hitter pick up the dragging foot and still focus on the pitch? I never looked to see if a pitcher was dragging his foot, but I can’t imagine being able to shift your focus from his feet to his delivery in that short amount of time. The ball is about to be released at the time he could determine if a pitcher is dragging his foot, I just question whether a hitter can look at his feet and still get a good read on the pitch.

I agree with Indy. My son was having the problem of unintentionally dragging his foot and I was working with him to correct it. While catching him I made the mistake of trying to watch his foot and almost caught his fastball right in the mush. It would be an exceptional batter who could pick up the foot drag, refocus on the ball and then make good contact.

I didn’t drag my back foot when throwing the change, but have heard that pitching philosophy throughout the years. You can certainly do it, and the hitter will not pick up on it, but I don’t think it’s necessairly needed to take speed off of the pitch.

Instead, I used to think about collapsing my pitching mechanics… where I strided out like a fastball with my legs, but turned it over and shortened my release with my throwing hand. As a result, my back-side follow-through for the change wasn’t as pronounced as the fastball – but still natural. Of course, the grip (and slight turning-over of the hand) is what ultimately make a good changeup good.

I’d be more worried about it throwing off your balance, you have to put additional weight on you pivot leg to slow down your foot than you normally would in a regular delivery. It also slows everything down, especially in the hips.

I wouldn’t be concerned about it from a tipping aspect, but from a mechanical aspect.

we throw the circle change and let the grip do the work. like coach ellis we teach turning it over to some of our guys as an advanced change.
the biggest thing we do in working on our change is incorporating it into our longtoss. we end each longtoss session throwing 70ft changeups. you can back up - thats just where we throw them from. we put a great emphasis on the change in our program.
one of the best pitchers we’ve had couldnt hit 77 or 78 with his fastball but had a great change - fastball speed really doesnt matter.
steve
www.leaguelineup.com/raiderbaseball

I’ve mentioned this before in other posts on this site, but I am a BIG believer in change ups, especially for my 10:U team. My son has developed one of the best change up I’ve ever seen. Again, it is deception because everything including his arm speed is the same as his fastball. The way he grips the ball requires him to throw it hard just to reach the plate. It starts about belt high and just falls off the table (no arc…or not much anyway). Last night the ball bounced in front of the plate and the batter swung. My other pitchers are starting to throw the CU and it’s becoming all the rage (unfortunately, it is becoming too popular…they are throwing all the time and not setting it up). One of my pitchers who is 8 (league age 9) only throws his fastball about 38-40 mph (not bad for his age but a little on the slow side in 10:U competitive ball). However, he has developed a good change up and because of that he has disrupted the hitters timing that he is striking out good hitters with his fastball (or getting them to hit weak grounders). The CU is the great equalizer in my opinion.

Side note, my son and I were watching Roy Oswald pitch the other night and FOX kept showing his pitch speed…93,93,94. My 9 yr old son asked me why the pitcher isn’t changing his speed to keep the hitters off balance! I love it!!

I dont think there’s a right or wrong way to throw it … as long as you keep the fastball motion and can throw it for strikes when you are 2-0 or 3-1 , it’s all about results . Many people teach pushing the ball back , and that works … but in my experience ( pitching and coaching ) I’ve fould that more difficult to control . I like teaching my kids to actually hold it out on the fingers , very loosely ( 2 seamed for more movement ) … and throw a BP Fastball . We try to have them work on the “feel” every time they play catch … the thought is that it’s a slip pitch , and we try to see just how much they can speed up their arm and still take the right amount of speed off .

I am a coach who has a 13 y-old kid on our team with a great ch-up,i ask him what do you do with your ch-up , he said just opens his hand & lets ball come out.Do not let it spin off fingers,that lack of rotion is what gives the ball movement.It feels weird at first ,just keep working at it.

I throw a circle change and I love it. For a more “advanced” circle change my pitching coach is having me totally relax my wrist and let my wrist “snap” (for a lack of a better word) down and get some backspin on the ball, and I am noticing that the ball really sinks.

Although I have found it to be very hard to control less master, it is something I am working with and I found found to be an excellent pitch

Also does anyone here play 90ft catch with their change?? one of my favorite drills

we have our kids throw the circle change. after they get the hang of it we have them start turning it over. it gives it a little screwball dive at the end. we’ve had great success with this. we throw 75 to 90 foot changes in all our longtoss routines. as the last post said this is a great teaching tool for the change.

Practice those change grips in the pen and when you warm up and long toss. We used to have our high school pitchers throw the change grip every other day for long toss. It gets them acustomed to the grip and release points. The mechanical side should be worked on in the pen. Hey, Steve’s giving great free advice and amazingly everone is questioning it. Experience is what will tell you what works and you are getting great advice here.

my change up is wicked nasty, cause it moves a lot, but sometimes there just isnt enough off of it to fool hitters completely, and some can stay back a little longer nd bloop it over the infield. how do i take even more off without slowing my arm down

One key is to do everything the same but vary your grip. That way the batter can’t tell what’s coming. More skin on the ball means more friction means lower velocity.

A second key is to have a significant but not too large (e.g. 7-10 MPH) differential between your fastball and your change-up. That will throw off the timing of the hitter.

However, you have to be careful. Too much of a differential will make your change-up look like a puffball (which is easy to hit). Too little differential will turn your change-up into just a slow fastball (which is easy to hit).

You have to throw it so that it looks just like a fastball but arrives just a little later.