Change-Up

I seem to have a problem with getting my change-up to tail. Im a lefty and the thing keeps breaking in to right-handed hitters. I do not know if its my grip (Circle Change), or what. But my two-seamer will still tail I just cannot find out why it tends to come in. I guess this alright to lefties but I dont really want to be crushed on a high change-up coming back over the plate. Any help would be appreciated, alternate grips, etc.

To get your change-up to tail, try pronating your wrist/hand when you throw. The more you can pronate, the more spin you can impart on the ball to make it tail. Only pronate to your comfort level and keep your body from drifting away from the throwing arm.

Also, try to keep your change-ups down at the knees.

you can try narrowing your middle and ring fingers making sure that on release the ball rolls off of both of those fingers

My 11yr old is a lefty and his 2 seam fastball does the opposite…it breaks in on a righty hitter and away from a lefty. Why do you think that is? Personally I think it is great as most of the kids he faces are right handed hitters and he jams them with it.

It seems more like a slider, or cutter… He might be releasing the ball off his index finger instead of a more “centered” release.

The reason the change up is breaking in to right handed hitters, is due to one thing, and one thing only. You are not extetending far enough at your release point. Why, you are not extending (on the change up) is the next thing you should find out. It’s hard to say why you are not getting out front as far as you should with your change up, without seeing you throw. Answer these questions, then maybe I can give you some tips:
Where is your “little finger” on your change up grip?
How often do you throw a change up, when you are not on the mound?

Jeff,
When I grip my change-up, I usually have my pinkie on the side of the ball, pretty well centered right on the side. Lately I have moved it more towards the top of the ball. See a little less breaking in on righties, but now it just goes straight. I’m trying to get that nasty tailing and dropping change.

For the other question, I work on my change-up when we warm up before games and practice.

Also I have been told by my coach that sometimes I pitch over a stiff and straight front leg, would this cause me not to extend? and are there any drills to fix it?

[quote=“OklahomaLefty”]Jeff,
When I grip my change-up, I usually have my pinkie on the side of the ball, pretty well centered right on the side. Lately I have moved it more towards the top of the ball. See a little less breaking in on righties, but now it just goes straight. I’m trying to get that nasty tailing and dropping change.

For the other question, I work on my change-up when we warm up before games and practice.

Also I have been told by my coach that sometimes I pitch over a stiff and straight front leg, would this cause me not to extend? and are there any drills to fix it?[/quote]

Lefty-here goes; It’s good that you moved your pinkie to the top and off to the side. A change up is a feel pitch, so the more you throw it, the better it will be. Start throwing your change up(while warming up) from 90’ ; if your still not getting the movement you want, then worry about your stiff front leg. Yes a stiff front leg at the time your foot hits the ground could be causing poor extension. But it sound like you are trying to hard to get the ball to move. Keep it simple. Just hold the ball with your change up grip, and throw a fast ball. Then you can judge the movement, but don’t think to much. Just throw the ball and see what happens. Here is a tip to last you a life time. When in doubt, simplify everything. You think when you practice, in a game just play; If you are thinking about your mechanics during a game, what are you not giving your full concentration; throwing strikes. Any more questions; feel free to ask.
Jeff

Several things can change a person’s movement, first is the natural throwing motion they have, a lefty who drops his arm down to more three-quarter will naturally have more movement. Another thing to look at is where their fingers are placed on the ball. For myself, when i want more movement i will move my middle finger to a different part of the seam.

Jeff,
I also have been trying to throw a cut fastball. To add to my fastball types. Would not extending out also keep this ball from having a lot of movement. It spins right but it doesnt cut too much. My coach has been telling me that both my cutter and change-up. Would improve if i extended more, does the cut of the ball have anything to do with extension?

[quote=“OklahomaLefty”]Jeff,
I also have been trying to throw a cut fastball. To add to my fastball types. Would not extending out also keep this ball from having a lot of movement. It spins right but it doesnt cut too much. My coach has been telling me that both my cutter and change-up. Would improve if i extended more, does the cut of the ball have anything to do with extension?[/quote]

Lefty-all movement happens out front. But make shur you are not “rushing”. Give your arm long enough to get on to of the ball.
Jeff