Change Up trouble*

I’ve messed around with circle change, three finger change, and then splitting my fingers somewhat like a splitter but i can’t get the velocity off the ball it seems to come out fast for some reason… i don’t know what it is im doing or not doing

Try choking the ball deeper in your palm.

The change is the ultimate “feel” pitch keep playing around with it even as you warm up or play catch.

Add some pronation.

There’s a reason tons of pro pitchers never develop a change-up. It’s the toughest pitch to master.

Keep at it and never stop tinkering.

You could try gripping the ball C change and putting most of your finger pressure on the C (thumb and index fingers) and the pinky on the opposite side of the ball and throw it with very little pressure on the middle fingers.

I’ve had an incredible amount of difficulty throwing a change-up. I never could get it quite right. It also doesn’t help that I’m not exactly the biggest person with the biggest hands. Choking up on the ball just led to awful off speed pitches :frowning: . However, there is a lot of good advice you should try in this thread.

For me, I needed to put my middle and ringer finger on the ball and have my pinky and index finger around it. I threw it like a 2 seamer. Basically, I used a weaker ring finger (with the middle finger) to throw the ball (instead of the index and middle finger). I used my pinky and index finger to choke up on the pitch instead of keeping it deep in my hand. I messed around with this grip for a little while and it just started to work better for me. Just remember to try different finger location and pressures too.

[quote=“kyleb”][quote=“jsm5en”] There’s a reason tons of pro pitchers never develop a change-up. It’s the toughest pitch to master.

Keep at it and never stop tinkering.[/quote]

I agree that pitchers should never stop “tinkering”. How else would one know if they are maximizing their abilities? However, I don’t quite follow why you say the reason so many pro pitchers never develop a CU is because of its difficulty to “MASTER”. Has there been some study, even anecdotal that I’m not aware of demonstrating that to be true, or is that just conjecture based on your experience? I’m not saying you’re wrong, but I can’t help wondering how much of that statement is fact, and how much is fiction. :wink:

I’m thinking that more likely the problem is the lack of definition for what a CU thrown masterfully looks like. A FB in that category could be described as 95+ with at least 6” of horizontal movement, coupled with the pitcher’s ability to throw it so it would touch anywhere on a circle with a circumference of 38 inches, which is the allowable size of a catcher’s mitt.

But what does a CU thrown by someone who has it “mastered” look like? Is it something like less than 90% of the velocity of a pitcher’s “best” fastball. With the same horizontal movement and ability to locate as for the FB above? honestly believe the reason more pitchers don’t develop one, is because they whoever calls their pitches is afraid to call it because they expect it will sail out of the park a high percentage of the time.

I remember a few years back when the two most feared closers in the game, both used the CU as their “out” pitch, even though one could easily cruise at 95+ and the other at 90 at maybe, on a good day with a wind behind him. I always wondered how many pitchers with great CUs were passed over in favor of the numbers on a gun.

Find one that slows it down and practice. My sons PC taught him what he threw starting a couple of years ago. Was throwing a circle change which was not impressive and rarely used. What he uses now is a very loose grip using three fingers starting with the pinkey (no circle with the pointer). Showed us holes in his walls pretty high up and told us it came from high school kids learning to throw a change. Had him throwing a foam cup initially to get the feel. Encouraged him to use the grip throwing to get the feel also, said his college pitching coach had them shag balls in outfield using change grip. After a year give or take and a lot of work my son could comfortably throw it at age 13. Long way of saying it takes some time (for my son anyway) and a lot of work to throw comfortably & consistantly, but it’s most definately worth it.

I honestly believe that, while it is a difficult pitch to master, it’s more of a confidence thing. As stated in previous posts, if it floats the change is a crushable pitch.

As difficult as it might be to master, in my opinion the circle change can be the most effective pitch in baseball.

Is it because of the “circle”, or is it because it’s a “change”?

As for “mastering” a pitch, I think that’s a good topic for discussion all by itself. After all, what does “mastering” a pitch really mean? Is it command, control, movement, causing misses, not allowing it to be “squared up”, or is it something else?

Is it because of the “circle”, or is it because it’s a “change”?

I believe it’s difficult to learn simply because it’s a change. My son was throwing a circle change and not throwing it well. Pitching Coach taught him his change simply because he was not very far along with what he was throwing. I believe the circle change is a great pitch and he could have learned it also, just learned a different grip because of who he takes lessons from. Had a difficult time getting used to keeping arm speed the same while slowing ball down, also getting feel and confidence.

So what you’re saying is, it really has nothing to do with the grip as much as it does being “off speed”. That happens to be my belief as well, but when you said “the circle change can be the most effective pitch in baseball”, you did what most people do and gave the credit to the grip rather than the pitch.

Most pitchers I’ve talked to or heard talk about their own experiences with the CU, never stop tinkering it with it, at least until they get to the point where they’re like a Trevor Hoffman and really can’t make it any better.

but when you said “the circle change can be the most effective pitch in baseball”, you did what most people do and gave the credit to the grip rather than

Think that was Turn22. My son throws change with a different grip pitching coach taught. I said my son was using a circle change which was not very good and seldom used when he first started taking lessons from pitching coach. Felt need to clarify that I believe circle change is a great pitch along with other variations. I am in complete agreement change is a very effective pitch and in my sons case his best (when mixed with other pitches).

I stand corrected and apologize.

No need to apologize. We both agree the change up is a great pitch and worth the effort to learn! We’ve seen kids throwing variations so whatever works for an individual pitcher seems to be the way to go. Have seen some kids using palm ball as change up, pretty good looking pitch also.

[quote]but when you said “the circle change can be the most effective pitch in baseball”, you did what most people do and gave the credit to the grip rather than the pitch.
[/quote]

Actually no. What I was referring to was a circle change, the pitch, thrown with pronation giving the pitch screwball action.

Edited: Sorry changed to pronation. :oops:

We’re not communicating well. Perhaps its because I don’t understand what pronate and supinate mean. What you’re describing is what I understand to be twisting the forearm in a clockwise direction, which is pretty much against any enlightened thinking.

[quote]Actually no. What I was referring to was a circle change, the pitch, thrown with supination giving the pitch screwball action.

We’re not communicating well. Perhaps its because I don’t understand what pronate and supinate mean. What you’re describing is what I understand to be twisting the forearm in a clockwise direction, which is pretty much against any enlightened thinking.[/quote]

AAAAHHHH. sorry typed the wrong word. I meant pronation. :x
My bad. Was watching a movie and typing at the same time.
Good catch scorekeepeer, Thanks

I posted this in your other post/same topic.

Did you try this?

http://danblewett.com/2012/04/all-about-the-change-up/

[quote=“jazzmik”]I posted this in your other post/same topic.

Did you try this?

http://danblewett.com/2012/04/all-about-the-change-up/
[/quote]

That’s the same video I’ve been trying to find. I searched youtube and my internet history for a while trying to find that. I can’t believe it was on Dan Blewett’s site. I actually closed out of his site when I opened it because I thought it couldn’t have been on there. I guess that’s just my luck, eh?

His video helped me a lot. My hand was never quite comfortable with a circle change (or most other grips), but this worked for me.