Change Up Help!

For some reason whenever I throw my change up which is a circle change… it seems to come out just as fast as my fastball and I cannot get any movement but I’m more concerned about slowing it down right now… anyway I through it like a 2 seam circle change grip and i through it just like i do a fastball and people tell me slow my arm down but that will tip the pitch… any help would be much appreciated!!

Try a 3 fingered change or a modified split. Don’t buy into the tripe that any one grip is the best or right grip for everyone! But for sure don’t buy into the “slow your arm down” garbage! Anyone who would say that doesn’t know doo-doo from shinola!

Your grip may be the problem. If your hand isn’t big enough, a circle changeup can be hard to do. This may be causing the loss of velocity.
The most likely problem with movement is your are not releasing the pitch far enough out front. When you throw the pitch in front, your arm is able to pronate to get that down and in movement. When throwing it, I like to think “fastball”, but more like a 3-0 fastball, not your best fastball. Make sure to keep your arm action loose and don’t force the movement.

[quote=“BenFA”]Your grip may be the problem. If your hand isn’t big enough, a circle changeup can be hard to do. This may be causing the loss of velocity.
The most likely problem with movement is your are not releasing the pitch far enough out front. When you throw the pitch in front, your arm is able to pronate to get that down and in movement. When throwing it, I like to think “fastball”, but more like a 3-0 fastball, not your best fastball. Make sure to keep your arm action loose and don’t force the movement.[/quote]
This is generally true, maybe my experience can be a good example.

Despite my having VERY, VERY small hands I can pitch a solid circle change that goes 8 MPH slower than my fastball. My grip is a two-seam one which adds sink and some fade to it (for this reason remember to mostly use it against hitters of the opposite handedness!). The reason why it works is (probably) that I place my fingers on the outer half of the seams rather than over them, widening the grip a bit. It may be called a screwball grip. This makes the pitch a tad slower and it makes it sink a bit more. And of course, try to pitch it with the very same arm movement of your fastball. Hope this helps.

[quote=“Andrea91”][quote=“BenFA”]Your grip may be the problem. If your hand isn’t big enough, a circle changeup can be hard to do. This may be causing the loss of velocity.
The most likely problem with movement is your are not releasing the pitch far enough out front. When you throw the pitch in front, your arm is able to pronate to get that down and in movement. When throwing it, I like to think “fastball”, but more like a 3-0 fastball, not your best fastball. Make sure to keep your arm action loose and don’t force the movement.[/quote]
This is generally true, but my experience was different, hope it can be a good example.

Despite my having VERY, VERY small hands I can pitch a solid circle change that goes 8 MPH slower than my fastball. My grip is a two-seam one which adds sink and some fade to it (for this reason remember to mostly use it against hitters of the opposite handedness!). The reason why it works is (probably) that I place my fingers on the outer half of the seams rather than over them, widening the grip a bit. It may be called a screwball grip. This makes the pitch a tad slower and it makes it sink a bit more. And of course, try to pitch it with the very same arm movement of your fastball. Hope this helps.[/quote]

Chances are, you are putting too much pressure on the ball with your middle two fingers. Try basically holding the ball with the circle and your pinky and throw it like your fastball.

Please DO NOT listen to people who tell you to slow down your arm.

[quote=“Turn 22”]Chances are, you are putting too much pressure on the ball with your middle two fingers. Try basically holding the ball with the circle and your pinky and throw it like your fastball.

Please DO NOT listen to people who tell you to slow down your arm.[/quote]
Ah excellent advice here, seconded: the pressure is mostly exercised by the circle and the pinky!

It reminds me of a coach in high school who told me that I should throw the circle change a bit like a slider to give it movement… haha what the heck, that’d make it some kind of a hybrid that is slow, spins 12-8 rather than the opposite and would have been smashed right and left. I graciously ignored that advice…

Try this…

http://danblewett.com/2012/04/all-about-the-change-up/