Change-up grips

Now, knowing that a change-up is a feel pitch I’m just wondering what some of your guys grips are. This is my 2nd year throwing a change-up and I’m having some trouble finding the strike-zone. I throw a 3 finger circle change and have had some success with it. This year I had a 3-2 count against a good hitter and made him jump out of his shoes on the change. Lately though, I can’t get it low and I’m not throwing it for strikes. When I try to turn it over for some movement, it gets wild.

Any tips?

Are you sure your problems are related to grip and not to mechanics?

I work on my mechanics everyday and make simple adjustments all the time. Im a pitching freak so I try to study my own mechanics. I spot every other pitch just fine, but my change-up hasn’t came around yet.

I want to try and see what has worked for others. Maybe I’ll catch on with another grip, but for now I have to keep tossing with the change-up and get comfortable.

EDIT: I checked the grips section of the site and found some useful info. Im actually throwing the circle change and was spinning my wrist the wrong way. I’ll be pitching tonight so I’ll see how it works.

Good luck. The change-up takes a lot of practice to learn. Try to pick a grip that you’re comfortable with and stick with it for a while. My son use to be too impatient and kept changing grips so frequently that he never gave himself a chance to get good at any one of them.

Recently I stumbled upon a new grip, a twist on the circle change that has been giving awesome results… instead of making the circle with my index finger and the tip of my thmb, I make the circle with my index finger and the middle knuckle of my thumb, and I tuck the tip of my thumb under the ball, back towards my palm… having my thumb on the bottom of the ball has helped me control it… also, I leave some space between my index finger tip and the thumb knuckle…

the keys for me are getting that thumb underneath – curling my index finger off to the side of the ball – laying my middle and wring fingers on the narrow part of the seams and having my pinky sitting opposite my index finger on the opposite side…

It’s been a nasty pitch… it’s changed my whole game.

[quote=“andrew.ra.”]Recently I stumbled upon a new grip, a twist on the circle change that has been giving awesome results… instead of making the circle with my index finger and the tip of my thmb, I make the circle with my index finger and the middle knuckle of my thumb, and I tuck the tip of my thumb under the ball, back towards my palm… having my thumb on the bottom of the ball has helped me control it… also, I leave some space between my index finger tip and the thumb knuckle…

the keys for me are getting that thumb underneath – curling my index finger off to the side of the ball – laying my middle and wring fingers on the narrow part of the seams and having my pinky sitting opposite my index finger on the opposite side…

It’s been a nasty pitch… it’s changed my whole game.[/quote]

Can you email me the pic of the grip? MY email is amsoil9hammer@yahoo.com

Thats something id like to do.