Change in my Mechanics

Ok here is what happened. I have had tendonitis for about 5 months, and I help out at a training facility on Saturday mornings. Probably the most well known instructor from Fort Wayne asked if he could play catch with me to look at my throwing motion. After about ten throws, he told me that I was throwing with my fingers on the side of the ball instead of behind it. He said this was likely the reason why I had tendonitis. He said my palm was facing the catcher too soon. I agree with all of this; however, the part I dont understand is that he had me basically throw like Billy Wagner or Joel Zumaya. I read on Chris Oleary’s site, that this was a bad thing. What made me surprised is when I threw the pain was gone! Any comments on what you think?
[imghttp://www.sdhoc.com/main/awards/2006som/August06/Image00025942[/img]

The hand is facing the catcher, yet is still “on the side?” It is very unsafe to have the elbow exceed the level of the shoulder, and that doesn’t have much relation to the direction of the fingers. I’m not exactly sure what he was trying to say, but this is what Chris is all about:

Elbow below the shoulders and hand facing 3B | SS

a before/after video would be really helpful! Could you go through each motion maybe at 50% intensity or as much as you can do? Thanks!

Well, hands break, ball in hand goes back (facing second base) or not?
My son has his hand break and comes directly up and around facing third base(right hand thrower). The throwing hand (elbow) is " always above the shoulder". Just when you release the ball–“follow through” reach your hand toward the catcher, snap it off, and complete your pitch! “Complete your pitch” means–slap your opposite knee and get parallel to the ground. Keeping your eyes forward for a come backer and bring your follow leg over and down to receive a grounder.

[quote=“pitcherdadfan”]Well, hands break, ball in hand goes back (facing second base) or not?
My son has his hand break and comes directly up and around facing third base(right hand thrower). The throwing hand (elbow) is " always above the shoulder". Just when you release the ball–“follow through” reach your hand toward the catcher, snap it off, and complete your pitch! “Complete your pitch” means–slap your opposite knee and get parallel to the ground. Keeping your eyes forward for a come backer and bring your follow leg over and down to receive a grounder.[/quote]

Once I hit my knee with my forearm and had a bruised forearm for a few days… lol

The guy doesn’t know what he’s talking about.

What he’s teaching you will make things worse, not better.

Itdan, what I mean is that at release point, my hands are on the side of the ball, instead of behind it. Also, if you look at all the pictures you see the hands are facing 1st base (lefty). My palm would be facing homeplate in those pictures

Chris, then why didnt I feel any pain. If your wondering he didn’t mean exactly like how Billy Wagner is in that picture. He meant more like how Wagner Santana and Zumaya have a shorter arm path and get to the high cock position sooner, which I am way behind when I throw.

This is good.

Because these problems can take a while to develop.

There are better ways to get to the high cocked position sooner (which IS a good idea). That includes changing where and when you break your hands.

Thats what he showed me. He doesn’t agree with the elbow being above the shoulder, but more like getting to the high cocked position sooner.

I should have shown a picture of Johan Santana because that would be a better example how he doesn’t waist much time to get to the high cocked position while not raising his elbow quite as extreme as billy wagner.

So what do you guys think I should do? Go with the shorter arm swing or the long one?

It all depends on your timing. If you have a quick delivery I would think a long arm swing is not going to be good. If you have a slower delivery a long arm swing might be ok. I’m not saying I’m right but it makes sense that if you are quick to the plate like a wagner or a santana you would try and get to the high cocked sooner.

Also where is your pain at your shoulder or elbow or bicep what. Maybe you said but I didnt catch it.

They say a picture’s worth a thousand words. Imagine how much a video is worth.

My pain is in the elbow. I am just really confused right now, because I just dont know what to think. I watch almost every pitcher has an arm swing. I usually fail to get to the high cock position so maybe I should shorten it up a little bit. I kinda noticed lots of pitchers have a slight bend in the arms when they seperate the hands, so maybe ill try that.
Here is my motion at about 50 percent speed.

:worthless:

What pictures do you want?

:worthless: :bsmeter: :hijack:

sorry but these are the coolest smiles I’ve ever seen