Change in my delivery

Recently i changed my delivery style from a 3/4 slot to an over the top. At first it really hurt my shoulder, but once i threw a bit more the tightness went away, and alot of the tension i used to get in my elbow has completely disappeared.

What was the reason for changing your mechanics?

I wanted to add velocity to my pitches, and I wanted a true 12-6 curve, because they are harder to adjust to than sliding curves. I was also having trouble with change-up control when throwing submarine and 3/4.

thebert11-
are you doing better now?
Does the different arm slot help your control and velocity?

I rarely understood the change of arm slots. Why would you want to do something that’s not natural? Unless if the kid is of a real young age, be natural man! There are thousands of pitchers that have pitched in the big leagues with a 3/4 delivery with mucho velocity.

The whole point is, you need to find the arm slot that is comfortable for you and that enables you to pitch effectively.
My pitching coach of many moons ago had this basic idea: every pitcher has a natural motion. What he would do was work with that pitcher and show him/her how to make the most of it, take full advantage of it. You’re right—unless the kid is very young, seven or eight, you don’t want to mess around with it. 8)

Pitchers should go with what is natural for them.
If they don’t,
won’t they be more susceptible to injury?

Right on!
I was eleven years old when I discovered that I had a natural sidearm delivery—and a nice little curve ball that came attached to it. So I figured, gee whiz, I have a curve ball, let me see what I can do with it, and I worked around with it and figured out how to change speeds on it. I also acquired a good knuckle curve and a palm ball, and that served me well. Then, at age sixteen, I figured I could use another pitch, and as a result of my curiosity I met Ed Lopat, and he became my pitching coach; we worked together for almost four years, and what I learned from him was nothing short of priceless. He knew I threw sidearm and I used the crossfire, and he helped me refine that move and taught me a lot of advanced stuff he felt I needed to know. I became a better pitcher, and I won more than my share of games as a starter and rescued a lot of games as a late-inning reliever. And not a sore arm or a sore shoulder or a sore anything else! And all because he showed me how to make the most of my natural delivery. 8) :baseballpitcher:

It’s rare that I see someone change to an over top the arm slot…pitchers usually move their arm slot down to create movement on their pitches.

Stu

My 2 cents: Each person has an arm slot that is the best for them, this is what would be defined as a natural arm slot. However, this does not always mean that the arm slot one is throwing from is the natural slot. Perhaps a young pitcher started out throwing sidearm trying to emulate Randy Johnson, as he grew older he never changed it simply because he was told that’s his natural arm slot. However it is not.

The simple fact of the matter is that, if a player changes his arm slot and achieves better velocity and control, then that player should use that arm slot. It’s all a matter of effectiveness.

therbert, if the overhead slot works for you then go with that. Whatever the reason it is working for you so keep it up

[quote=“ThinkPitching”]It’s rare that I see someone change to an over top the arm slot…pitchers usually move their arm slot down to create movement on their pitches.

Stu[/quote]

I’ve heard that the elbow should be at shoulder level before release,
if the elbow is above the shoulder- there will be an increased chance of injury.
If the elbow is below the shoulder- velocity will be decreased, and thereby, more movement.

Right now I am not concerned about movement of my pitches, but rather changing speeds. If I want movement I’ll throw a curvball. Hitting is timing. Pitching is upsetting that timing. But with my finger how it is right now I can’t throw anything but changups. Literally nothing but changups, and i can’t use my middle finger or index finger (the one that’s injured is the index).

CardsWin—again, right on!
My pitching coach told me that the elbow should always be at the level of the shoulder, neither higher nor lower. Of course, because I threw sidearm all the time, that never was a problem for me. Only for the hitters. :slight_smile: