Chances

What are my chances of playing for D1 school or going pro for that matter? I am 18 years old and am in college at this point. Im basically known as a finesse pitcher or a “junk” pitcher. My fastball sits only at about 82-84. I have pretty good breaking pitches though. I throw a 2-seam fastball (which gets some movement), a changeup, a curveball, a dropball (which is basically a 12-6 curve), and a slider. I can throw every pitch pretty consistently as strikes and usually use my curveball on 3-2 counts. My biggest problem has always been velocity though. Im doin this weighted ball program but I dont know how much faster I will get. I hear a bunch of people say that its not always how hard you throw but that seems to be the biggest thing to coaches I have thrown for. I tried out for this one D1 team where I faced 7 hitters and i struck out two and got the rest to fly out or ground out I didnt make the team and the coach said cause I didnt have enough velocity. At that time I was throwing about 81-83 but still. So what are my chances of making it at the next level as pitcher…any advice would be appreciated.

u already posed about this in another thread and i told u what u should do, 83 mph isint ffast enough for a d1 college

I know I already poster it but I thought I would get more responses here

I agree with Tanner. D1 colleges have a ton of choices in pitchers. Even though you might be great, they will go with a guy that has more velocity. Junior College is a good way to go. You might have some more growing to do physically, but there is also some growth mentally that can take you to the next level.

Robert Woodard for UNC throws low 80’s and look what he has done in college. He was part of the weekend rotation of the best pitching staff in the country and he threw a one-hitter against Clemson in the college world series.

UNC yes your right there are guys who dont throw anywhere close to 90 who get a legitimate shot at college ball but most coaches will take a kid who throws 87-90 with some issues than say a polished low 80’s pitcher. Thats just how most collegiate coaches think. Not all but most.