Chances?

What are my chances of playing for D1 school or going pro for that matter? I am 18 years old and am in college at this point. Im basically known as a finesse pitcher or a “junk” pitcher. My fastball sits only at about 82-84. I have pretty good breaking pitches though. I throw a 2-seam fastball (which gets some movement), a changeup, a curveball, a dropball (which is basically a 12-6 curve), and a slider. I can throw every pitch pretty consistently as strikes and usually use my curveball on 3-2 counts. My biggest problem has always been velocity though. Im doin this weighted ball program but I dont know how much faster I will get. I hear a bunch of people say that its not always how hard you throw but that seems to be the biggest thing to coaches I have thrown for. I tried out for this one D1 team where I faced 7 hitters and i struck out two and got the rest to fly out or ground out I didnt make the team and the coach said cause I didnt have enough velocity. At that time I was throwing about 81-83 but still. So what are my chances of making it at the next level as pitcher…any advice would be appreciated.

id suggest a juco- www.ihcc.cc.ia.us is a good one
www.iwcc.cc.ia.us is another good one

Heres the problem, many people still put alot more emphasis on velocity and many other things with pitching. Their theory is that you give them a kid that can close to 90 and they can turn him into a pitcher but a polished kid without velocity has nowhere to go, therefore no upside. Not all coaches think like that but unfortunately many still do. It was like my college coach said about the chances of our players going pro. "If your righthanded you have to throw 90, if your left handed 87-88. Thats not taking into account control and movement and usage of other pitches but yet many baseball people still feel that way. My suggestion to you is just keep pitching and continue to work hard and maybe you will get a shot. If a coach watches you throw and sees you get people out chances are hell take a good hard look at you.

If you are dead-set focused on competing at the D1 level, find a school that is desperate for pitching. There are plenty of weaker D1 programs that can use a pitcher who can get 4 pitches over the plate consistently. Check out the year-end stats for all D1 schools, and start calling the coaches of teams at the bottom of the pitching stats.

Thats a good idea Joe. Plenty of teams need someone who can throw strikes.

Thanx the suggestion. I hope I have a shot cause I actually hit 86 over the weekend and and was consistent at 85.