Chances of playing pro ball for h.s. players

Q. how fast do you think you have to throw?
A. righty at least 90, lefty maybe 85
Q. whats the most important thing to get you drafted?
A. pitching speed, dont care what anyone says, i went to a pro tryout, and they said the top things, 1 speed, 2 control, 3 offspeed and movement on pitches
Q. how can you gain velocity?
A. perfect mechanics, long toss, NOT LIFTING WEIGHTS (heavy), throwing a lot
Q. how fast do i have to throw to get into a good college?
A. 85 with good control

i posted this little thing cuz all i see is kids asking if they have what it takes, this hopefully takes that down a lil haha

Why say 90 mph for a right hander wanting to go pro, or 85 for a college pitcher? I’ve seen plenty of pitchers throw slower than that at both levels, respectively. Usually they have better control and a great offspeed pitch.

Velocity will open doors for you. I believe that is what Tanner is referring to. If you are a right hander that can hit 90 consistently, most college coaches will be ready to offer you a scholarship and a place on the team(same with pro scouts). There are plenty of very very good pitchers that throw less than 90, but they probably didnt have recruiters beating down the doors to get them.

Although there are very rare exceptions, Tanner is correct. If you want to succeed at those levels you’ll also have to add command and secondary pitches. There’s a reason the scouts carry radar guns.

[quote=“rmbrady91”]Why say 90 mph for a right hander wanting to go pro, or 85 for a college pitcher? I’ve seen plenty of pitchers throw slower than that at both levels, respectively. Usually they have better control and a great offspeed pitch.[/quote]this is what the pro and college scouts told me, i would know from first hand experience, you need to be able to throw 90 mph if your a righty! no matter how good of a offspeed pitch you have, plain and simple

I hate tryouts hahah i cant compete as well as i do when im in games…its just different…

Tanner you hit the nail on the head.

[quote=“alanshadow22”]Tanner you hit the nail on the head.[/quote]is that good or bad :lol: :lol:

Thats good. I mean yes you dont have to throw 90 to get taken as a righty but you must show alot more than someone who can. Thats just how it is. You cant teach speed. Even though technically you can improve someones velocity its alot easier to work on someones control and movement vs helping them gain 5-8 mph.