CC Sabathia

Do you consider him, well “conditioned”?

+200 innings a year.
-works on three days rest frequently
-durable as could be
-outings of over 120 pitches pretty much every start

he’s your definition of a workhorse, he may not look it but I’d have to say tha the is.

Then why doesn’t he look like it?
Is his strength coach not good or something? I know he works hard, but it doesn’t look like it if you look at him. But why?

[quote=“JR.Navarro34”]Then why doesn’t he look like it?
Is his strength coach not good or something? I know he works hard, but it doesn’t look like it if you look at him. But why?[/quote]

Huh?

Why do you think that you must be lean to be “in good shape?”

Some of the heaviest (and consequently, very fat) Olympic lifters have insane vertical leaps and have crazy explosive power - meaning fast 40 yard dash times - despite their weight.

Sabathia is a big man. That doesn’t mean he’s not in good shape.

Remember this guys: Good shape for a baseball pitcher is different from good shape for a body builder. At the end of the day, we’re not trying to win a strength competition; we’re trying to throw a baseball with late breaking movement 60-feet 6 inches. Doesn’t matter what you “look” like, what matters is that you execute can your pitches and stay healthy so that in 4 days you can do it again.
If you want to look good in front of the mirror, baseball probably isn’t for you because the workouts that will make you good at baseball won’t translate to the beach … but they will translate into more explosive power on the bump. What’s more important to you?

I would imagine CC is probably in a lot better shape then you would think. You have to be pretty fit to throw the amount of innings he does at the velocity he throws. As Steven mentioned pitching conditioning isnt the same as working your beach muscles. I can really only think of a few pitchers who were out of shape that were any good and most of them were only good for a short amount of time one that comes to mind is David Wells.

See I didn’t know that, but now I’m glad I do

I didn’t know that, if you were in baseball shape, that doesn’t mean you are fit. That’s all I was wondering. But, why do some coaches, or scouts say you need to loose weight, are they meaning. You need to get skinnier?

See I didn’t know that, but now I’m glad I do

I didn’t know that, if you were in baseball shape, that doesn’t mean you are fit. That’s all I was wondering. But, why do some coaches, or scouts say you need to loose weight, are they meaning. You need to get skinnier?[/quote]

If you’re heavy and throw 80 they’ll tell you to lose weight, if you’re heavy and throw 96 people won’t say anything. If you can produce results as a pro with a little extra weight they won’t critique your size. Usually when you’re heavy and don’t play on a pro level or on the average in your league then they’ll tell you to lose weight.

Well said.

And Steven is also correct: “Beach” muscles aren’t the ones that actually produce strength and power.

They have to put reinforced dirt on the mound when Carston is pitching! :lol: