Catcher's view--Bullpen sample

Here is a video from one of my old bullpens. I’m throwing 2-seamers and 4-seamers. It was a day where I wanted to test out a few different things: tempo, stride length, release points, grips, finger pressure, etc.

As a note, I’m 6’2 150 lbs

I’d say most pitches were about 85-95% effort, based on what I was trying to do. Then on 3 or 4 pitches, I just them 'em fly.

I wanted to post this just because it might spur on conversations or critiques which could perhaps help other people out there. Maybe this will lead to some interesting topics of discussion which would be helpful to those who come accross it.

http://www.vimeo.com/3948647

I can’t see too much, you land very closed (Throwing across your body), but seem to have good velocity. Due to the edits I can’t get too much of a feel for your tempo. Do you have any video of you throwing a serious pen? I mean goofing around pens are positive things and a real chance to develop stuff but sort of pointless from an analysis perspective.
I get the feeling that you more wanted it to spur discussion vs whether you had any issues so I’ll ask if you’ve ever considered opening up that foot plant a little?
The 2 seamer moves nice if you can control it…
Lastly…how bout some steak ingestion, 6’2" and 150… :shock: do they like…tie weights to your ankles on windy days? :wink: :lol:

Looks pretty good from what I can see.

As JD said I would try to get the hips opened up a little more when you land.

Damn boiii you throwin gass eh?
How old are you?

[quote=“101mph”]Looks pretty good from what I can see.

As JD said I would try to get the hips opened up a little more when you land.[/quote]

JD suggested striding toward the plate more, not necessarily opening up the hips. While hip/shoulder separtion is important, trying to open up the hips too early can take away all of your power.

JD’ suggestion is a good one.

I believe, based on the forward form that you have, that bouncing habit that you have at the very end of your delivery can be corrected by following JD’s suggestion.

In any event, that bouncing signature at the end of your performance can have consequences later on. Back spasms, groin pulls, and other ailments in that area can develop when you put on the brakes like that and go upright.

Otherwise, it looks like you can really bring the heat.

Coach B.

[quote=“palo20”][
JD suggested striding toward the plate more, not necessarily opening up the hips. While hip/shoulder separtion is important, trying to open up the hips too early can take away all of your power.[/quote]

Don’t know where he said that…

Usually when I interpret someone saying they “land very closed” it means they don’t have their hips opened up enough, which it looks he doesn’t.

“opened up a little more when you land” has little to do with being early (or late for that matter). It’s all timing and everything needs to happen at the right time in the chain of events or something else suffers.

I like to see throwers have their hips opening as they move out into footplant. Not early…not late…at the right time. His do not fully open when he lands.

I’m not sure this is even a problem. There a lots of guys who land like this and can throw pretty well.

Well, it’s why it’s difficult to really make a good analysis here. First off he’s not doing a solid “form” pen, he’s working a “development pen”. Yes he is throwing across his body, which to me can be a timing issue or by design. It’s why I asked him about issues, accuracy may come to mind, but due to the fact that he’s “workin” on “stuff”, doesn’t make that a certainty either. I think we could all make much more productive observations with a good solid side and front perspective. I don’t know that this kid actually thinks he has anything wrong…he’s got some gas, he may have just wanted an over all chat about how hard he throws or good he looks…not really expecting or wanting critique…at least thats how I read what he posted any way :wink:

i know this has now relevancy, but i was just wondering. You said that you were throwing 85-95 percent most of the time. I’m guessing the “yiping” you’re letting out is just a comfort or involuntary thing right? I’ve never heard a pitcher do that before. Looks kind of like you’re letting out some anger on that net lol.

Anyways, I think it looks great. How hard do you throw?