Catchers Helping You Get Better

I’m 13 and throw 72-74 and top out at 76. Yes I have been clocked. My catcher says stuff to me like “you suck” and “you probably throw mid 50s” and that “Im garbage at pitching.” I find that this helps me because it gets me to try harder and work more towards my goals. I’m just wondering what you guys think about this.

Ouch thats pretty harsh man.
From experience a good catcher can tremendously (sorry if I spelled wrong) help you in your growth as a pitcher. Obviously he Is a pretty arrogant person. I’d advise you to find a team with better morals.

Hes my friend and hes nice its just that on the ball field he says stuff like that.

My catchers like that too, last year he was the only freshman to letter varsity (although i shouldve too) but now all he says is “If you do somethin like that youll never make varsity this year” and stuff like that and i just tell him im gonna prove him worng so it gets me goin too.

eh, whatever gets you going I guess. I’m not sure if I’d take it like you guys.

There would probably be some choice words.

I would like to quote, verbatim, from a paper I presented a couple of years ago at a SABR meeting, inasmuch as what I had to say is pertinent to the subject.
Very often the best pitching coach one can have will be the catcher, especially when it comes to settling down a nervous or unsteady pitcher or going over strategy. One of the best at this was Yogi Berra, who knew his batterymates as no one else did. He knew who just needed a steadying hand and who required a good swift kick in the gluteus maximus, as the situation demanded. It was particularly instructive to watch how he dealt with the team’s fabled Big Three rotation. He was hardest on Vic Raschi, the big righthander with the overpowering fast ball and the even deadlier slider who often needed a good goosing to get him going. In an effort to get a rise out of him Yogi would yell things like “Come ON, Onionhead, is that as hard as you can throw it?”, and most of the time it worked. On occasion Yogi, sensing that Raschi might be tiring, would go out to the mound only to be met by a surly “Give me the goddamn ball and get the hell out of here” or some such term of endearment or an even nastier “Yogi, you’re going to lose that sorry ass of yours if you don’t get back behind the plate!” Both of these reactions pleased Berra greatly, because they told him that the Springfield Rifle was back on the beam. There was, however, one occasion when Raschi was obviously losing it in the late innings; he stepped off the mound and looked wistfully over at third base. When Bobby Brown, who was playing third, went over to the mound to talk to him Raschi looked at him and asked plaintively “Where have you BEEN?”—and Berra, who had once said “You observe a lot by watching”, knew at once that it was time to tell Casey Stengel to alert the bullpen.
Yogi was a lot easier on Allie Reynolds—perhaps he was aware of the Chief’s medical problem; Reynolds, a diabetic, used to say he had the “classic Indian disease”, and so Yogi would not push him any more than he needed to. As for Eddie Lopat—Yogi never said two words to him; he just settled in behind the plate and caught him.

A good catcher knows how to work with the different pitchers on the staff. :slight_smile:

If it works for you, great! It may not work for others – you know, the more sensitive types :slight_smile: Either way, that relationship bet you and the catcher is important. The sooner you can establish a good relationship there, the better.

Ok thanks for the input guys.

Well since I catch when not pitching I have experience with working with pitchers. One of my schools pitchers (throws 86-87) says “I the best catcher he’s ever had with talking to him about pitching.” When i catch I look for about everything imaginable. This includes mechanics, ball flight, if there tipping there pitches, or they change things on the mound. My coach trust me so much that he’s giving me full responsibility with the pitchers next year. Yes, sometimes I do give then tough love but that’s just to get them fired up and working harder.

Like Kaz said, its good to have a catcher that knows pitching. My catcher used to switch off starting games with me in Little League, and has caught me for 5 years. Its good to have somebody you trust behind the plate, and one that can tell you how your pitches are that day.

If I don’t trust my catcher, the stupidest things will bug me. Like setting the glove too low, setting up right over the middle, etc… for no reason. There’s one catcher I had this year where I wouldn’t throw from the stretch because he couldn’t even catch a guy stealing 3rd with his arm.

At least your catcher comes out to talk to you. The starting catcher on my team rarely if ever comes out to talk to me. He will go out for other pitchers occasionally but for me he just sits back there and catches the ball. He also NEVER calls change ups even when I call for them.

This catcher is an unadulterated lazybones who probably would rather sit in an easy chair and read a book than call pitches. As for his failure to call for a changeup when you want to throw one—here’s what an old St. Louis Cardinals pitcher named Howie Pollet used to do. When conducting a pregame meeting with his infielders he would set up the defense and tell them what he would throw—and where. You might do the same thing: if your catcher is too lazy to go out to the mound, you just signal to him what you’re going to throw (an excellent move when there’s a runner on second base). And if he doesn’t like it, you tell your manager or coach that you will NOT pitch if this guy is going to catch you. :x