Catcher into a pitcher

Hi

Im a catcher and am trying to convince my parents to pitch a little bit. My brother got hurt pitching a couple years back. He is a catcher and hurt his hammy. I have ok stuff and my team needs arms. Is this a good idea or am i going to hurt my self.

p.s.

I have good mechanics too.

If you truly have good mechanics, then that’s a good start. The other thing you need to be careful of is overuse. Catchers make just as many throws as pitchers albeit most of them are not full intensity. You should avoid pitching and catching in the same game and even in different games but on the same day, IMHO.

How old are you?

Go ahead and pitch! Your brother or anybody elses injury has nothing to do with your arm or body. Just take care of yourself. Age doesn’t matter, if you want to pitch, then pitch.

i dont see why u coulnt just be careful about throwin alot of pitches that r hard on ur arm(sliders other hard breakin balls) if u r young.

If you have good stuff go ahead and pitch. Being a catcher you already probable already have a strong arm so give it a try. :slight_smile:

I am also a catcher. I found it was hard to turn into a pitcher becuase of the fact your used to short arming it and throwing with only arm. Good luck, I’m here to help

Pitch…Why not?

My son’s high school team utilzed their catcher on the mound last year. He had never pitched a game before, NEVER…

He threw two complete games one of which was a no hit gem.

You have to be careful though, his arm wore down during the summer league play and he started struggling toward the end.

He went to play for a DIII college as a catcher and a PITCHER.

Good Luck

[quote=“futureKazmir”]I am also a catcher. I found it was hard to turn into a pitcher becuase of the fact your used to short arming it and
throwing with only arm
. Good luck, I’m here to help[/quote]

Exactly

I also catch. It was hard at first but the more you work at it you will be able to in your head distinguish the catching arm mechanics and the pitching arm mechanics.