Catch Velocity not Translating to Mound

I had a conversation today with several pitchers on my team who say that when I play catch, or make plays in the field(fielding bunts, etc…) My velocity is about 5 mph higher than when I pitch on the mound. I’m just having trouble making it translate. Has anyone else had this, and what are some suggestions to fix it?

Well I’m pretty sure I figured this out! After watching video of me off of the mound, and then thinking about how I feel playing catch I realized something. When playing catch I’m very relaxed, and have a very loose arm action which results in more arm whip. Which in my opinion is why I’m throwing harder. When on the mound for some reason I think in order to throw harder I have to “muscle” the ball to the plate which results in slower velocity and overthrowing. So, in order to throw harder off the mound I need to use a more relaxed and fluid arm action. One of my teammates told me after I realized this that when I’m throwing off the mound I kind of throw like a robot. That information would have been nice to know earlier haha

In my opinion, the reason you throw like a robot when pitching from the mound is that you tend to get too caught up in mechanics—in form rather than function, as Lantz Wheeler once put it nicely. Forget about mechanics. Think Mariano Rivera. Watch him closely and watch how he did things when he was pitching—that easy, fluid motion that looked as if it could put you to sleep, and then the cutter or slider or whatever pitch he was throwing just exploding right under the batter’s hands. Loosen up—and throw hard as you release the ball. Eventually you’ll lose that robotic tendency and throw as hard and as fast as you do from the outfield.
And get a nice changeup or two. :baseballpitcher:

Yeah, that’s what I noticed. Thinking back to my games, I realized I do tend to think about my mechanics in game. Which I think results from coaches making adjustments during bullpens, and it translated into games. I just need to relax and let muscle memory take over, and leave the mechanics tinkering to bullpens and practice.