Carlos Zambrano Mechanics, werid?

I recorded a game Florida-Chicago where Zambrano was pitching. I find his mechanics very werid, his arm action to be more precise.

He rotates his hips, then shoulders, then his arm just fallows, his lower arm (from elbow to fist) looks like its “dead”, it just lags behind. It looks like he is not pitching downhill, so his pitches are flat. I think Kerry Wood arm action is very similar.

Do you guys think that kind of arm action could lead to some kind of problems?

Wierd…hummmm
I find his motion very efficient. He seems to have that rare combination of speed and funk, he is regularly in late innings and like Maddux uses his sinker with great effect, as well as a 98 mph fastball and one of the nastiest sliders I think I’ve ever seen. If he gets hurt in my opinion it will be due to way too many sliders or like Mike Hampton, he just plays in such a competitive way that he’ll blow a knee stealing second or making some ridiculus but great defensive play, he’ll dislocate a shoulder or something. His arm is still very lively and based on his innings total it doesn’t seem like he’s gonna do anything but get better.

[quote=“Nikae09”]I recorded a game Florida-Chicago where Zambrano was pitching. I find his mechanics very werid, his arm action to be more precise.

He rotates his hips, then shoulders, then his arm just fallows, his lower arm (from elbow to fist) looks like its “dead”, it just lags behind. It looks like he is not pitching downhill, so his pitches are flat. I think Kerry Wood arm action is very similar.

Do you guys think that kind of arm action could lead to some kind of problems?[/quote]

Based on the clips here…

http://mlb.mlb.com/team/player_media.jsp?player_id=407296

…it’s hard to say for sure since I can’t go through them frame by frame. He does look a little arm-y. However, I generally like his mechanics. His PAS elbow never gets too high. His lower body action is also good.

What his arm does is normal. However, it’s kind of strange the first time you really look at it.

I also like how he doesn’t reverse-rotate his shoulders and points the glove at the target (at least for a second).

That last one was for you DM59. :wink: