Caring for your Cleats--

Taking Care of Cleats

Here’s a seven (7) step method of keeping your cleats ready and in good condition for years.
1.) When you first get your cleats, dust them inside with a heavy sprinkle of talcum powder (baby powder). The talcum powder will act as a temporary barrier to block sweat fromyour feet. The talcum or baby powder will also keep your feet cool and comfortable even in the hottest weather.

2.) Avoid wearing gym socks. Gym socks are for sneakers and the like. They can also stretch your baseball shoes out of shape. This is especially the case at the back of the shoe where your heel is. Also, gym socks can make your feet sweat, excessively. Purchase at least four (4)pair of …Sanitary … socks as their called. Why Sanitary socks? Sanitary socks are just like the socks that you wear with your other SHOES. And your baseball shoes are just that – SHOES. The name Sanitary is probably derived from the color of the socks – stark white.

3.) In your equipment bag don’t forget to bring extra shoe laces. Try to purchase shoe laces like the ones that came with your spikes. It does make a difference.

4.) Purchase an extra inexpensive pair of baseball shoes – preferably with molded rubber bottoms as appose to expensive metal spikes. Use this pair of molded rubber spikes as your practice pair.

5.) After a game, use popsicle sticks or something similar to pick out the mud, infield dirt and grass from your spikes. Take your spikes off and insert a pair of shoe trees. The shoe trees will maintain the shape and fit that your use to. Then put your spikes into a plastic bag. You don’t want to wear your spikes into someone’s car. Why? More than likely the dirt that you have on your spikes will contain fleas, mites and their eggs. You don’t want to bring those parasites with you.

6.) When you get home or back to your dorm, remove your spikes and brush them off under cold water – but do not soak them. Then, wipe them off with an old towel and let them dry in a cool place, out of direct sun light. When their all dry, sprinkle the inside with talcum or baby powder, then reinsert a pair of shoe trees.

7.) At least twice during the playing season, saddle soap your spikes if their made of leather. And always saddle soap your spikes before you store them at the end of the season, if their made of leather. And again,
sprinkle the inside with powder and insert a pair of shoe trees.

I should note that serious players have more than just one pair of spikes. Different manufactures have different styles and fits. This fine tuning of a pitcher’s foundation (foot work) which includes both metal and molded spikes can be very expensive and should only be followed in the most competitive programs – amateur and pro alike.

Coach B.

Great tips Coach B!

Did you come up with this or did you read it from another site?

What are gym socks? I wear under armor all sport socks.

Do you know how long doing those tips will preserve the cleats more then someone who doesn’t?

Well I have like 6 pairs of cleats…

I have 3 pair that I alternate wearing in practice. I fix the ones that break with super glue and what not and switch them. I have 1 pair that didn’t fit too well so I only wear them when I need them. I have one pair that are real ratty that I wear for indoors, and I have 1 unused game pair.

I haven’t gotten new cleats for over a year now…

I keep all my old shoes. The ones I currently wear, I had in highschool and I super glued them all back together.

6 sets of spikes !?!!?

WOW… I only have 2 plus my turfs, and the one pair is sitting in the box because they are from a few seasons ago and are now my back up pair.

I keep all mine and re-use parts and stuff. I’ve bought the same shoe every single time but now I can’t anymore because they discontinued the model.

I wonder what the cost efficiency would be of one pair vs say 4, alternate 2 for practice, 1 game day, 1 indoors

Smart and makes sense, that’s a good question, should look into that more man.

Spencer Posted: Nov 17, 2007 Post subject:
[color=blue]--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
What are gym socks? I wear under armor all sport socks [/color]

Gym socks are those heavy white sox that are worn with sneakers. Their usually made of heavy cotton.

[color=blue]Wales Diesel
Posted: Nov 17, 2007 Post subject[/color]:
[color=blue]--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Great tips Coach B!
Did you come up with this or did you read it from another site? [/color]

In the late 1950’s, while playing Legion ball ,this information about caring foryour spikes were just part of the learning experience – back then. There’s nothing earthshaking here, just some basic info.

About the molded rubber spikes – sometimes these baseball shoes are just the ticket on some surfaces. For example, try this:
---- You have a mound that has a very poor frontal slope. This slope is nothing more than dirt, soft soil, powdered clay that’s dried out, and so forth. Lace up a metal spike for your pivot foot –but, lace up a molded rubber shoe for your stride foot. You should notice a firm stable base for your pivot foot and that stability passed along right through to your leg lift. When you stride and plant your stride foot you should notice immediately conformity to the surface that you’re landing on, due to the flexibility of the molded rubber sole. Also, the molded rubber surface won’t distort the landing surface as much, inning after inning.

I picked this up years ago when our practice field was subject to some vandalism. And of all the places to be damaged was the pitcher’s mound. So, the only thing that I could find to refurbish the slope was some dirt from behind the batting cages. I told our pitchers at the time not to wear their game spikes but to wear their practice shoes – the molded rubber ones. Every pitcher remarked how much better their landing was because the molded rubber sole conformed to the poor surface of the repaired slope. So, we started to experiment - wearing the firm soled metal spikes for the pivot foot and the molded rubber spikes for the stride foot.

This alternating baseball shoes wasn’t done all the time – just in extreme cases.

Interesting, I’ll have to keep that in mind the next time I’m on a mound with a difficult surface.

Thanks again Coach B

nice tips coach b.

thanks

Could you please describe the mound conditions that rubber cleats work best in in a little bit more detail. I feel really slow. Loose dirt is where your regular spikes would be slipping?

I apologize for the delay – I haven’t been back to this section in while. I’m also in the process of arranging some travel.

The surfaces that I was referring to were those composed of sand, lose top soil (dirt) sand and small pea gravel mixtures, clay that has dried out to the extent that it has a powdery consistency to it, and any other surface that does not support your landing by allowing your foot to “sink” into the surface.

Since molded baseball shoes have a sole that’s flexible – far more flexible than your standard metal spike sole, the molded sole is more forgiving and contours to the topography of a mound’s surface with no integrity.

However, mounds that have holes permanently engraved into the basic structure of the mound itself, offer little or no compromise on the selection of any footwear.

If you find a deep hole in front of the pitcher’s rubber – and a correspondingly six inch hole just like it – right where your stride foot is about to land, molded spike soles or not, your in for a bad day. Like this:

Coach B.