Can't Throw strikes*

Whenever I throw my hardest when I pitch I don’t throw strikes what should i change in my delivery

the key thing is just staying within your limits. if you can throw nice and easy and throw strikes, then you should be able to do it while trying to throw hard. you need to throw as hard as you can, but without changing your mechanics. the same thing applies to hitting, if you see a flat, belt high beach ball thrown to you in a hitter’s count, you’re gonna come out of your shoes trying to hit the ball. that doesn’t mean you swing so hard that you lose your balance and pull your head off the ball.
so basically you need to throw the ball hard, but not to the extent that you change your mechanics.

Velocity is not what’s important here. What is important, is location—being able to put the ball where you want it to go. Let me tell you about something I used to do when I was a little snip—and continued to do for years afterward.
I would get a catcher (if you can’t find one, just throwing the ball against a wall will suffice). He would mark off a pitcher’s rubber and a home plate with chalk, or if we could get to a playing field I would take the mound and he would get behind the plate. We would play a little game we called “ball and strike”; he would position his mitt in various places, high, low, inside, outside, every which way but standing on his head ( :lol: ), and what I would do would be to practice getting the ball smack-dab into the pocket of the mitt. I did this with all my stuff, at varying speeds, and what a nice feeling it was to hear that satisfying THWACK as the ball hit the pocket. It was a perfect way to sharpen up my control, and even after I was well into playing the game I would do this from time to time. In addition, I would sometimes get someone to stand in the batter’s box—not to swing at anything, but just to provide an additional target. And it paid off. I can’t think of a better way to work on control. :slight_smile: 8)