Can't keep my arm angle up, would love some advice

I’m new here so I apologize if many people have posted this topic before, but I’ve had one major mechanincal flaw my whole career and its giving me trouble again: dropping my arm angle.

I can promise its not from fatigue or injury, but every once in a while I get into the habit of pushing the ball, letting my elbow drop in line with or below my shoulder when it should come above it.

Obviously, this is one of the worst mechanical flaws a pitcher can have, because it decreases velocity, flattens out secondary pitches, and makes your command worse by turning you into a dart thrower.

I find that when my stride is very short like when I’m just playing catch my arm angle is easy to control, but when I get into my normal stride (a little less than 6 feet, I’m 6’1" tall), my arm tends to drop. It’s harder to put my arm through that higher range of motion when I stretch my lower body out more for some reason.

Is it strickly a shoulder flexibility issue? How can I test for adequate shoulder flexibility for a pitcher?

Are there any mental cues that can help with this problem, maybe such as pulling your glove down and in more/earlier, etc?

Thanks for your help.

video to come on Thursday

Arm slot is determined by the position of the elbow in relation to BOTH shoulders, not just the throwing shoulder.

In this picture, Roger Clemens elbow is above his throwing shoulder but level with shoulders. See the red lines I drew. That is the proper way to determine arm slot.

If you want a higher arm slot, you need to have more shoulder tilt. If your shoulders are level with the ground and your elbow is above your shoulder, that is dangerous. It has nothing to do with shoulder flexibility.

Let’s look at another arm slot. Low sidearm/submarine. This is Joe Smith of the Mets. You see his elbow is below his throwing shoulder, but still level with both shoulders.

So should I pull my front shoulder down more after I get into the proper landing position and start twisting and extending my back leg? That’s what I’ve been told so far, but even though I may have that greater tilt in the shoulders, sometimes my elbow doesn’t want to go through that higher range of motion. So my humerus is still pretty much level with the ground even though I have the tilt in my shoulders.

I guess I should have phrased my question as: “How do I keep my arm at the top of its range of motion thoughout my delivery?” Do you know what you tell yourself or what works for other people when they encounter this problem?

I know my elbow must be dropping from time to time in the middle of the turn because on video I’ve seen myself consistently getting into the proper landing position, but my elbow sagging starting to push the ball during my turn. Its something that I really have to focus on and when this happens I miss up in the zone and everything flattens out, so I don’t think this is my natural arm angle.

Thanks for the response, and thanks to the guy that PM’ed me that article.