Can your vertical help your pitching?

I play basketball along with baseball and I have recently started a program to help increase my vertical. I was wondering by if any chance (or if I am lucky) it could carry over and help my pitching in some way? I understand this is kind of a stretch but you never know.

Yes for sure. The thing is your vertical is extremely genetic as in it cannot be trained. This doesn’t mean that you can’t raise it; however, each person has a genetic ceiling for their vertical. Therefore, if you don’t have the fast twitch muscles capable of a 36" vertical it cannot be trained.

On the baseball side of things though, a vertical indicates raw power similar to your power clean. Since pitching is a power exercise, a high vertical and high power ratio will definitely correspond to higher velocity.

WiseGuy,
Do you fully understand the terminology that TGoldy is using to answer your question? Do you understand how this pertains to you, specifically? When I say specifically, I mean TGoldy’s remarks of “[quote=“TGoldy, post:2, topic:20342”]
…if you don’t have the fast twitch muscles capable of a 36” vertical it cannot be trained.
[/quote]

and

I understand the first part but only half understand the second part.

As training and coaching techniques evolve in sports, so does the language associated with said training and coaching. Adding to all this are custom designed phrases and comments, tailored to a particular program, business, product, etc.

So, if you wanted to understand fully what Godly is posting here, ask him to detail his narrative, enough so his opinions do you justice.

Here’s an experience that I had.
In the mid 80’s there were three pitchers that were brought onto a club that I was the bullpen coach with. I reluctantly took the position, primarily because of all the training and coaching techniques that were circulating at the time. I was more of a managing coach rather than a training coach. Hence, along with all those techniques were greater focus on Kinesiology, specific sciences to athletic health and so on.
Now I will freely admit that I am not into such science, nor was the franchise that I was employed by. So, my interests were to be partly responsible for the scheduled “rotation” for any given day, from the pitching staff.
OK… fast forward …when I was hit with "hey coach, should I address this…that… according to …and then …, my only expression was blank as was my answer…"sure guy, sounds good to me.“
I later started to lookup some of this jargon up, only to find it product oriented with something being sold as a service, rather than science. In other words, a lot of guys coming to our organization were literally at the ends of their career, or haphazardly starting one, coming off of a training program that “sold” them on …” you can do this with our help, and here’s the language that we use to do it."
Today, a lot has changed since the mid 80’s. So I’m pretty sure most of those hucksters have gone by the roadside, replaced with good stuff. On the other hand, I rarely follow that kind of science, being more of “managing” coach, not a “trainer”, with what I know works for the business that I was in.
Language is so important to your overall understanding of the world around you, that you must pursue your questions with deliberate and aggressive purpose.
PM TGody if you have to, or ask here and get a better answer.

Of course, the purpose of this site is to help pitchers improve and if my answer was too technical for you to take of advantage of it, I will attempt to clear things up, regardless of my science/biomechanics background.

As you understood my first point I won’t go too much into it. But for the second…

I think we can agree that throwing with a high velocity requires your body to generate a lot of power. Which is moving your body and weight quickly with force. Now a vertical jump accomplishes the same goal, which is generating power and using your weight to move you up as high as you can. Thus, both a vertical jump, pitching, and a power clean (it is a type of lift, feel free to google it). All are different motions and activities that deal with generating power. Hence, if you have a high vertical, you must be generating a lot of power. Which means in theory you should be able to apply that power in your vertical to pitching which would indicate a higher velocity.

High Vertical = High Power
High Power = High Velocity, assuming of course you are able to use all your power and no power is escaping through a mechanical flaw.

Please let me know if this clears things up a little or if you have any further questions.

Thank you. I understand what you’re saying now. That clears things up. :thumbsup:

Nice job TGoldy.

Theoretically you could throw harder. But that’s assuming that you have poor back leg strength, i.e your back leg drive sucks. If you have a great back leg and you’re able to stabilize and extend your front leg after pitch release, then I could argue that it wouldn’t make much of a difference.

just out of curiosity…a vertical jump is generating power in a vertical direction but pitching is driving forward. two very different force vectors. why is explosive power measured on a vertical plane for throwing forward? i understand the benefit of leg power but. the power clean is an explosive movement in an upward force vector against a the force vector of gravity pulling down. pitching is a forward force vector.
i still do cleans once in awhile but i switched to med ball throws. because its explosive movements in a forward force vector.
i might be totally out on a limb here…

I tried for years and was able to get my vertical to improve by only 4 inches. There are shoes that help focus on specific muscles that improve vertical. They might be helpful as part of a more extensive plan. It’s a tough number to improve. Be patient and set small incremental goals over time.