Can you pick my arsenal?

I keep wanting to change my arsenal (4-seam,Circle-Change,12-6 Curve)
So if you pick my arsenal I will most likely keep it. I just keep wanting to change my mind. Heres the pitches I have the abiltity to throw.

1)4-seam
2)2-seam
3)Sinker
4)Circle-Change
5)Cutter
6)Splitter
7)12-6 Curve
8)Slider
9)2-8 Power curve
10)Forkball
12)Straight Change
13)Palmball
14)Vulcan Change

I want either 3-4-5 pitches (Fastball,1 or 2 breaking balls,1 or 2 types Change-up)

how can you ask someone to pick your pitches for you. nobody has seen you throw these. pick the best 3 or 4 that you can throw.

[quote=“futureKazmir”]I keep wanting to change my arsenal (4-seam,Circle-Change,12-6 Curve)
So if you pick my arsenal I will most likely keep it. I just keep wanting to change my mind. Heres the pitches I have the abiltity to throw.

1)4-seam
2)2-seam
3)Sinker
4)Circle-Change
5)Cutter
6)Splitter
7)12-6 Curve
8)Slider
9)2-8 Power curve
10)Forkball
12)Straight Change
13)Palmball
14)Vulcan Change

I want either 3-4-5 pitches (Fastball,1 or 2 breaking balls,1 or 2 types Change-up)[/quote]buddy, are you kiddin me, your saying you have the ability to throw 14 pitches? serious, 4 seam, 2 seam, curve/slider, and changeup, dude, just throw what you can throw for strikes with movement, we cant pick for you hahahaha

fb, changeup, curveball - get good with throwing these and then get another pitch (if it is necessary). I’ve been told it will take a while to get good with these 3 pitches.

Pitching coach told me to plan on working on curve ball for two years before being confident enough to throw it for a strike in a critical situation. I think he was preparing me for being disappointed in the beginning - I’m six months into it and based on my experience - I agree with him it takes time to learn to pitch.

Simple isn’t easy (my father’s saying). Pitching is simple - but it ain’t easy.

[quote=“futureKazmir”]I keep wanting to change my arsenal (4-seam,Circle-Change,12-6 Curve)

1)4-seam
2)2-seam
3)Sinker
4)Circle-Change
5)Cutter
6)Splitter
7)12-6 Curve
8)Slider
9)2-8 Power curve
10)Forkball
12)Straight Change
13)Palmball
14)Vulcan Change

I want either 3-4-5 pitches (Fastball,1 or 2 breaking balls,1 or 2 types Change-up)[/quote]

4 seam, 2 seam
sinker
circle change or vulcan change.
2-8 power curve
12-6 curve

hard to pick when i cant see these pitche but as a pitcher theres nothing wrong with a fastball, any curve and any type of change
chris carpenter gets by pretty well with just a fb, curve and a change, but also look at dice-K he has like 7 different pitches but too many pitches equal too many signs which can be confusing

having an arsenal implies that each and everything in that arsenal is a weapon that can be used freely and is at your disposal. You, by definition, have control over anything in your “arsenal”.

I have yet to see a video of you throwing even a fastball with good mechanics for consistent strikes, let alone any of the other pitches. It sounds like you consistently struggle with control, and this is not the time to be messing around with crazy pitches you will never master.

1. Get a good, consistent fastball
  2. Develop an offspeed (change-up), be able to throw it for a strike 6-8 times out of 10, consistently
  3. Only then do you worry about adding a breaking ball. Don’t develop a breaking ball at the expense of the first two.

To show you where I fit in to this process, I have only just learned to throw my offspeed (change-up) for consistent strikes, and I will likely rely solely on 2-seam, 4-seam and Change-up for most of the season. My breaking ball would be a secondary pitch if I even developed it in time.

no knuckleball?

1)4-seam
2)2-seam
3)Sinker
4)Circle-Change
5)Cutter
6)Splitter
7)12-6 Curve
8)Slider
9)2-8 Power curve
10)Forkball
12)Straight Change
13)Palmball
14)Vulcan Change

I want either 3-4-5 pitches (Fastball,1 or 2 breaking balls,1 or 2 types Change-up)[/quote]

How many of those can you actually throw well, and for constant strikes???

So your saying you can throw 14 pitches effectively? For some reason I doubt that. But if you could, then why would you want to only throw 3 or 4 of them?

I would stick with sinker, change, and a slider (I perfer a slider) or a slurve.

A 2 seam fastball. Thats it.

Or a 4-seam, whatever floats your boat :baseballpitcher:

first thing leo mazzone, the best pitching coach in the world (who got fired last year by the orioles) does when he gets a pitcher, is limit him to 3 pitches including the low and away fastball until he owns the outside half with the fastball.

name 5 pitchers in the big leagues who are known for more than 4 pitchers besides dice-k. i can’t

how man pitchers made the hall of fame with 2 pitches. let’s start with koufax and gibson and gaylord perry. and throw in johnson and rivera since they’ll get in. most of the other guys are known for no more than 3 pitches.

you can throw all of them for strikes?

I’d say work on your fastballs for location outside and inside corner. It’s amazing how much harder it is to hit them when they’re located. Coming from a batter I can tell you and I’m sure you know too that if a pitcher burns one down the outside corner or jams you inside it sucks. I’ll give an example, my coach wanted to do some batting practice off of a mound in the cage but he didn’t want us throwing full speed while pitching just 3/4s or so. I ended up with a group of JV players I think it was still tryouts and when I was throwing to them I didn’t throw fast at all but I just located inside and outside. It was amazing how they could hit the ones I misplased but the ones that I hit my spots they almost always had trouble and I wasn’t throwing hard for a JV level at all. It’s on of those things you probably overlook when you think hmm which pitches do I want. Well if you can locate your 2 fastballs you can put them on each side of the plate when you want thats really at least 2 very good pitches you have. Then you can always work with 1 offspeed or 1 breaking pitch.

The fact that you believe you can throw over a dozen pitches leads me to believe that you can’t throw any of them. Just a gut feeling though, maybe you are the next Kazmir ( just kidding).

A fastball. Every pitch is based off of the fastball, regardless of how it moves, tails or breaks. Command of the fastball is probably the most important thing when throwing (when talking about pitches).

Then, once that’s perfected choose a change-up that’s simply off speed and learn to make hitters struggle. Throw this pitch a lot, as in, during practice, warm-ups or whatever.

A breaking pitch comes next. Leo Mazzone (mentioned earlier) will tell you that a curve ball is essentially the same as a slider, they’re both breaking balls. And its true. But until you can control your fastball, hitters won’t be fooled by them.

So what arm slot do you throw from? Or do you wander the dial?

I will give you my profiles of Arms slots and what works best with what.

Over the top:

4 Seam Fast ball
12-6 over hand curve
ForkBall as a change
Cutter

• could add classic change to this mix if the forkball is not an anatomical possibility.

Why? Over the top 4 seamer will comes in as a red blur. With guys that have really tight curveballs it will be very hard to tell if the ball has back spin or over spin-Burt Blyleven was a master of this. I like the Fork ball as a change because of the drop and the need to have a pitch that gives groundball outs. The cutter will do pretty well from this arm slot. Either as a strike out pitch or to jam left handers. Curve will drop straight down, so it will be effective for batters from either side.

3/4’s

2 Seam Fastball
Circle Change
Curve
Slider

Why? Fastball will run in and down to right handers creating ground ball outs. Circle change will do the same unless doctored to do something else. Curve will have some sweep and should break 1 to 7 being tough on same side hitters, and available to back door other side hitters. Slider low and away is a great out pitch (if you are 16 1/2 or older).

Low 3/4s

2 Seam fastball
Sweeping curve
Circle Change
Slider
Screwball

Makes same side hitters bail out. Sweeping curve is a great out pitch to hitters on the same side. Circle Change-should have a lot of sink and run away from opposite side hitters. Slider low and away is still efective. Screwgie will drop more than run away-throw to opposite side hitters.

Sidearm is for relievers…

These arm slots come with a suite of pitches that make sense. You have to sit down and seriously/ honestly evaluate how do I get outs-how do I succeed as a pitcher?

If you are not striking out a lot of guys, but instead getting a lot of ground outs- 3/4s may be for you. If on the other hand you are blowing guys away with hard stuff. Over the top gives you excellent complementary pitches to your heater.

If you are wandering the dial as a pitcher ala Luis Tiant, David Cone, or El Duque-you will have coaches forever trying to trim your pitch type and lock you into one arm slot- especially if you issue ANY walks. Some guys drop down ala Broson Arroyo and El Duque from time to time to get strike three on same side hitters (with a sweeoing curve) or to get more sink on their fastball to get a much needed double play. These guys know exactly why they do these things. This is tough to do.

my 2 coppers,

Ian

how man pitchers made the hall of fame with 2 pitches. let’s start with koufax and gibson and gaylord perry. and throw in johnson and rivera since they’ll get in. most of the other guys are known for no more than 3 pitches.[/quote]

gibson threw more than 2 pitches