Can we teach delayed shoulder rotation?

After many years, I’m starting to wonder if delayed shoulder rotation (hip-shoulder separation) can be taught.

I’m starting to think it’s a little like sprinting. In the broad sense, someone is either naturally fast or they’re not. Yes, you can get stronger and hone technique so that you can improve. Fast people can get faster. Slow people can get marginally less slow. But, you can work 365 days a year for ten years with the best practices of sprint training and you won’t turn someone who runs a 6.5-second 40 into Usain Bolt no matter what you do.

Is pitching the same thing? Can we ever make a pitcher out of a non-pitcher? Or, is the best we can hope for to fractionally improve someone’s natural gifts?

I’ve worked with tons of pitchers who have natural hip-shoulder separation who’ve been able to improve it. But, I’ve never really had any success with players who rotate like a block in getting them to change at all. Is this my shortcoming as a coach, or is this something we either have as an intuitive motor movement or not?

Thoughts? Experiences?

Sorry , I think it’s you. Separation can be taught IMO.

Care to elaborate?

I think the answer has to do more with the degree of abilities, both in comprehension and the natural physical endowments of the pitcher, plus the communication skills and the time devoted to the coaching process, the facilities used and certain intangibles.

I’ve had considerable problems bringing some pitchers around to enhance their craft only because of the lack of facilities, investments $, and certain quality of life issues.

On the other hand, some require little in the way of hip-n-shoulder disciplines, and they do very well for the level that their at. Now I’m not talking amateur ball here.

Besides, this focus on hip-n-shoulder separation I’m sure is important, very important in fact to generate torque and drive, but, so many other things come into the picture that the topic of conversation - I think, should be a bit more dynamic. Dynamic in terms of conditioning for whatever season the pitcher is in, age and muscle maturity considerations, diet and nutrition standards, sleep maintenance and so forth. I also think that from a coaching standpoint, coaching amateurs - especially youth, so much is out of the control of a coach and up for grabs depending on who and what the pitcher is - age, maturity, etc.

I know this doesn’t get to the heart of your post, but it’s the best I could do at the moment.

Care to elaborate?[/quote]

Beginning of lesson my kid turned like a block. After one lesson he gained 10 mph on standing throws, not pitching though . He took a few more lessons to progress it into a pitch mechanics . That’s all I can share soryy.

delaying shoulder rotation is just a movement pattern that anyone can theoretically learn how to do properly. The degree to which they are physically able to do it though, may come down to other uncontrollable factors like torso flexibility, humerus length, etc. For example, aroldis chapman has genetic factors that help him to achieve his absurd velocity.

However, most pitchers can learn to stay closed better, generate more torque and improve their throwing abilities. Vey few have maxed out their potential.

I would like to teach my son better delayed shoulder rotation. What is the best way to do this?

I can’t recall the pitcher, but a former MLB pitcher who’s son was recently drafted stated something to the affect that you’re either born with it or you’re not.

I agree that somethings can be taught, and a lot of players have turned themselves into pretty good pitchers by lots of work and learning, but I kinda believe that the best players out there were born with the throwing hard gene :wink:

As far as hip/shoulder separation goes, it can certainly be taught…BUT, I do think that natural hard throwers don’t have to be taught it, they came prepackaged with the skill…and the less thinking and methodical movements in pitching the better, and the better pitchers naturally throw with hip/shoulder separation.