Can I pitch with a football QB wristband on?

Can I pitch with a football QB wristband on? Would that be considered a distraction to the batter?

I’d check with the league that you’re competing in.

In most, if not all cases that I know of, a pitcher is not allowed anything while pitching - no accessories whats so ever.

In the youth game, summer leagues and what not, you could have exceptios.

Coach B.

Coach Baker is correct in that you need to check with the authorities under whom you play, and that’s normally the umpire assn that calls your games, and how they choose to interpret the rule set you play under.

The problem is, rules very often aren’t black and white, and therefore need to be interpreted. In general, the umpires assn will be the ones who determine how that’s done so they can have everyone be consistent to some degree. But as long as it’s a subjective call, such as if something is distracting or not, almost always the decision will fall on the umpire at the game.

Below I quoted the Official Baseball Rules, which is the set of rules all MLB and affiliated MiLB play is conducted. As you can see, it gets pretty complicated, and a lot of things could certainly go either way.

But below that one, I quoted a part of the NFHS(HS) rule book, and it has a additional little thing in there. And below that I quoted the partial rule from the NCAA rule book, and you can see its different too.

Chances are, as long as long as it wasn’t much different than your skin color or your glove, no one would say anything. But if your uniform color was black and the wristband was white, I’m guessing they’d have you remove it. The BEST way to be safe, is to ask the umpire in charge before the game even starts. That way there’s no “surprises” in the middle of a game that breed hard feelings.

What do you need the wristband for, and which arm is it on?

[color=blue]OBR Rule 1.11
(a) (1) All players on a team shall wear uniforms identical in color, trim and style, and all players uniforms shall include minimal six-inch numbers on their backs.
(2) Any part of an undershirt exposed to view shall be of a uniform solid color for all players on a team. Any player other than the pitcher may have numbers, letters, insignia attached to the sleeve of the undershirt.
(3) No player whose uniform does not conform to that of his teammates shall be permitted to participate in a game.
(b) A league may provide that
(1) each team shall wear a distinctive uniform at all times, or
(2) that each team shall have two sets of uniforms, white for home games and a different color for road games.
© (1) Sleeve lengths may vary for individual players, but the sleeves of each individual player shall be approximately the same length.
(2) No player shall wear ragged, frayed or slit sleeves.
(d) No player shall attach to his uniform tape or other material of a different color from his uniform.
(e) No part of the uniform shall include a pattern that imitates or suggests the shape of a baseball.
(f) Glass buttons and polished metal shall not be used on a uniform. (g) No player shall attach anything to the heel or toe of his shoe other than the ordinary shoe plate or toe plate. Shoes with pointed spikes similar to golf or track shoes shall not be worn.
(h) No part of the uniform shall include patches or designs relating to commercial advertisements.
(i) A league may provide that the uniforms of its member teams include the names of its players on their backs. Any name other than the last name of the player must be approved by the League President. If adopted, all uniforms for a team must have the names of its players.

[/color]
[color=red]
NFHS – Rule 1-4-2 partial …A pitcher shall not wear any item on his hands, wrists, or arms which may be distracting to the batter. …[/color]

[color=green]
NCAA – section 2 (e) A.R. 1—The pitcher shall not use a bandage or any other distracting item on the pitching hand or fingers. A cast or bandage may be used on the non-pitching hand if it is not white in color or distracting to the batter or umpire.[/color]

Typically you can’t wear anything on your pitching hand/arm/wrist, its funny this weekend the umpire of our first game allowed a pitcher against us to wear a white wrap on his pitching hand saying that he had it on because he was hurt, well it was distracting but they never made him take it off. Later in another game the same pitcher had a 8 inch black wrap on the pitching hand. You cant pitch with a white fielding glove or a wristband on the non pitching hand either…that is wristbands or anything else.

I will put it on the other arm (not pitching side). I need it for signs. My coach wants us to get ready for high school so hes giving us all these impossible ten second long sequences.

Impossible is nothing my friend, just learn the sequence, plus a football armband looks tacky on the field

The umpire made a pitcher take off one of those rubber band things off his non throwing had last tournament.

you gotta check with the league your playing in. also if its a different color than your glove. then youll defiantly have to take it off. all depends on the umpire or maybe the batter might complain. before i got my glove that i have right now. my old glove always felt loose so i wore a batting glove (the one i used while batting also) and it was white i think so the umpire would sometimes make me take it off. byt the way this was little league.

Im pretty sure in all high school baseball the only thing you can wear pitching is that Phiten Sports necklace.

Goodness guys! You’re all doing the same thing. You’re guessing! Don’t guess, read the rule book for the organization you’re playing in. NOT THE LEAGUE, the ORGANIZATION. Here’s why.

Let’s say you’re in LL Inc., and play in a league called Cosumnes River, or you’re in HS and play in the Delta Valley League, or you’re in college and play in the Big 10. Happy Oaks doesn’t write its own rule book, and neither does the Southern Athletic League, or Big 10. But, chances are that they all contract with an umpire’s assn, and that’s who’s gonna make the decision, not the league, not the coaches, and not the players.

If you really want to know, go to a place where there are umpires, and ask them. Here’s a good one for all levels and all parts of the country. http://www.umpire.org/forum.php
Here’s one there just about everyone is a HS umpire. http://www.nfhs.org/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=forum;f=10 And I’m pretty sure the 1st one can speak for just about every other organization and level there is where baseball is played.

Discussing these kinds of things are great, as long as at some point there is some kind of authority who quotes the rulebook and explains it. Other than that, its just a bunch of people guessing and no one ever knows which guess is the correct one. Almost all rule books are available someplace on the WWW. Find yours and read it!

However, this does give me a great idea!

Had a pitcher pitching pretty well agianst us this weekend and he had a wristband and a batting glove on the glove side, I took strike one and I told the ump it was distracting and he made him take them off, he ended up walking me. Maybe I broke his concentration a little.