Can a heavier glove help you throw harder?

Some people say heavier gloves help them throw harder. Others say lighter is better. (And, of course, some say it makes no difference.)

So what do you think and which do you prefer when pitching – a heavier glove or a lighter glove?

I’d imagine that it wouldn’t make a difference. However, if someone can prove me otherwise, I’ll be the first to buy the high velocity leather!

I think that a heavier glove is just as bad for your arm as throwing a weighted baseball or wearing weights on your ankles which mess up your knees. It sounds like an interesting concept but not one for me. Then again, the only draw back I think it would have is messing with your wrist or elbow. Of course, that depends on the structure and age of the pitcher.

A heavy glove? On your glove arm? It’s not going to do any damage to you.

When a pitcher brings his glove in towards his body and snaps that wrist, it puts a little more strain on those small muscles than usual. I’m not a doctor but I’d imagine that’s what would happen. The picture in my head shows me that if someone gets so used to using a weight glove, when they return to the original weight it will cause such a difference either for the good or for the bad. It’s your preference.

I switched back and forth between heavy and light gloves all the time. For instance, in my opinion, TPX and Nike’s gloves are quite a bit lighter than Wilson and some Rawlings models. Nokona always felt super heavy to me. Mizuno were OK, but they didn’t have as many all-black midels that they do today – and I only pitched with an all-black glove. (Remember, Scott Erickson??) But Zett was perfect and the one glove I went back to over and over again.

Perhaps I just thought about gloves waaay too much when I played :slight_smile:

This is more of an issue for young pitchers. Youg kids have more trouble stabilizing a heavier glove out front. That leads to dropping or sweeping the glove which, in turn, can lead to postural issues and timing issues. Some of these issues (e.g. opening up early) can, in fact, lead to health issues in addition to performance issues.

I always encourage young kids to use light gloves.

That’s about as ridiculous as the people who say wearing under armour increases velocity.

well thats obviously true

I fell the same way as you steve :stuck_out_tongue: The only gloves I use are black rawlings.

However I can see where maybe a heavier one would help because when you tuck the glove to your pit, you thrust downward with it to levitate your throwing arm. So maybe it would help get your harm up. Just a small thought though. Other then that I would assume its the same.

Since Baker isn’t here I’ll try and pass on some of his information that I remember.

He used to talk about a guy he played for that would put lead weights in his fingers to help him to throw harder. He said the guy was very small and used them to gain some momentum but could bring some heat.

The only way I can see how glove weight would impact velocity is if you are using the glove to pull the shoulders around. Since that is one of the bigger flaws a pitcher can have (in my opinion), I guess I would say my answer is “it shouldn’t”.

I thought HasBeen’s answer to this (somewhat weird-sounding) question was pretty insightful.

From a slightly different point of view I’m sure that Roger will confirm, if asked, that Tom House has a very definite and carefully thought out opinion about glove weight.

House has pointed out that a typical baseball glove weighs more than a pound, while a baseball weighs less than 1/3 of that amount. Some kids use over-sized gloves, that have absorbed a bunch of lanolin or oil or whatever, weighing as much as 2 pounds (6x the weight of the ball).

However, in a well-balanced efficient delivery, between first separation of the hands and touch-down of his stride foot, the pitcher’s throwing arm and glove-side arm actually mirror one another in terms of the angles at the elbows and wrists. The phase of a delivery House calls “opposite and equal” arms can take several different-looking symmetrical forms but the over-arching point is that the best pitchers do achieve balance and symmetry with their arms–in the same vein as a tight-rope walker might use symmetry for balance.

Under the stress of a high-speed pitch delivery, it may be inefficient to purposefully increase the amount of weight imbalance between the throwing arm side holding the 5 oz. ball and the glove-side by wearing a heavy oversized glove.

I know, I know, it’s a weird question. But we’ve gotten some pretty good discussion around it, which is cool. That was really the point I was after. And … it’s not all that crazy a question. I was literally asked this by a little league parent last year.